Experimenting with a larger windshield

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Cherryriver, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Cherryriver

Cherryriver New Member

United States
    I think most would agree the VFR's best property is that is able to span a wide range of needs and uses.
    For me, it was purchased to fill a spot on my personal roster that was, for many years, handled by my much-beloved 1996 Kawasaki ZX1100E, also known as the GPZ1100. Mine was fitted with a Helibar Multi-Tour Sport handlebar conversion that I kept from my previous Concours 1000 (GTR1000). It was also equipped with a full Givi case setup, sides and top. And, of course, a number of other mods to suit my use for it as my #2 tourer/main bike. In other words, the bike I rode the most, but was second to my "big road bike" for long-distance travel with lots of Interstate. That was an R100Rt, the Connie, and six-cylinder Wings.
    Age keeps coming at us all, and the GL18 was traded for an FJR1300, some 230 pounds lighter. Even so, it's getting heavier and harder to handle (with full confidence) on less-than-ideal surfaces and locations. I can see the day, not so far in the future, when I will be parting with the FJR.
    Yet I still like to hit the road so I've been looking for lighter, handier alternatives. I've tried a V-Strom 650, which is indeed light and handy, but kind of vibey and skittish in high-speed Interstate use and frankly, not up to the quality standards of the Hondas and Kawasakis I've been fortunate to own. (The GPZ showed 106K when I sold it and was running perfectly. The last Wing had 126K. And so on.)
    So given that my first 7000 miles on the VFR have gone well, once I got it shaped up into my comfort zone, I wondered if I could tip it more to the touring end of the spectrum.
    I've already installed the Heli setup mentioned above, bringing the bars quite a bit higher and further back, as my old, damaged neck insists (pro tip: if you're a carpenter building a roof, don't fall through the framing and hit your chin on the way through).
    I tried added one of those adjustable windscreen flipper things, and then I tried an MRA Touring Screen, and then added the MRA flipper thing to that. Better, but still not all the way there for cold or rain conditions, at least, compared to the FJR with its Rifle windshield. Wow, that thing is fantastic.
    So I had my old FJR windshield on the shelf, the so-called "Touring" screen made by National Cycle a few miles from here, which had a crack and some cutting done to it. I like to experiment, and I own number of saws and cutting devices.
    I have nice mirror extenders on the bike and I noticed that their upper surfaces sit proud of the stock screen and cowl. Holding the FJR screen against them, it nicely followed the curve contour of the VFR body parts.
    So with some more hackery and drilling, I mounted it on top of the MRA rig that was on the bike, as shown in the pictures. It pretty much went right on with minimal stress once I got the holes sort of close.
    Next I ditched the MRA screens and put the stock screen back on, which mates far better with the National Cycle sheild.
    A 20-mile test ride in miserable 38-degree weather, with speeds in the 55-65mph range showed I may be on to something. It's got much more hand and arm coverage due to the greater width, and the windblast hits my faceshield fairly gently- remembering that with the higher bars and more upright position, it's a whole different thing from stock.
    I'm going to order an undrilled, stock-height Rifle FJR screen to see if this can be a bit better. It's wider still than the NC screen, two inches each side, and I expect the arms to be covered altogether.
    Is this a mis-use of the VFR platform, and going too far away from its sportbike roots? Maybe.
    But anything that keeps the old bones on the road is what I'm most interested in.
    We shall see how this goes.

Windshield detail 1.jpg

Windshield detail 3.jpg

raYzerman and Neill like this.
  2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like you're looking for a lighter GoldWing. Which the VFR isn't. I like the sporty aspects of the VFR and would hate to turn it into a mini GoldWing. There are other bikes out there that start out closer to what you seem to be looking for. But everybody is entitled to do what they want. I cut the windshield down to almost nothing on mine, as I find that cleans up the air flow, and helps support me at speeds up around 70-75 mph. Dif'rent strokes...

3. Cherryriver

Cherryriver New Member

United States
    On the FJR Owners forum, there's an enormous, years-long thread called "Thinking of going lighter", about older FJR riders downsizing as age intrudes.
    There's a fair amount of consensus that a new, 500lb FJR900 with genuine FJR properties like good weather protection (unlike the Tracer 9), luggage, and fuel capacity would be a good thing.
    Coming from the other direction, this dinosaur started out on motorcycles that weren't any kind of specialized at all. You got the bike and changed it to suit the needs. So it was for me in my BSA days, when I added things like electric turn signals (lots of traffic around here) and an aftermarket fits-all windshield for when the weather went bad. Throw-over soft saddlebags could be used and tank bags were a revelation- I got my first one in the mid-'70s and haven't been without ever since.
    So rearranging a current bike to make it suit the needs makes sense. The VFR800 is in the ballpark in suitable size and weight, is smooth enough at highway speeds, can be ridden in traffic fairly easily, has good weather protection below the neck (in original form), and is Honda-quality-reliable.
    All it really lacks for heavier-duty touring is shaft drive (and modern chains are so good, the point is less important), cruise control, and that higher wind protection that a tall windshield would provide.
    Best of all, this bike is paid for. The next-closest option in the newer market is the Versys 1000, which I managed a free, 1000-mile test ride on, but it would cost me triple what this VFR is costing. That leaves money for owning other bikes and I like to have at least two or three "real" ones at a time.
    I had Wings; the last is gone three years now, and frankly, I'm not up to handling one every day in every way anymore, despite the bike's exceptional qualities.
    So, finding a 500lb Gold Wing might be an apt description.

So I ordered the larger, FJR-type windshield from Rifle, but the bad news is they're 2 1/2 months behind- I won't see it till after winter is in it deepest dark days.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    All very good reasons I have to admit. I use things because they're paid for too. Maybe I'm just being a bit old and crotchety, and think about the bikes I've seen that have been "modified" to the point of being barely rideable. I had a '92 GoldWing for a few years, and while the "sit up and beg" seating position on it was compatible, I guess I just can't see that seating position on a VFR. Truth be told though, I do have a set of Helibars on mine.

Anyway, I apologize for coming off as a bit of an asshat in my initial post.

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I understand what you're trying to do.... having had 2 FJR's, one with the Rifle barn door. I'm also one to shy away from open air flow bikes with little to no windshield, although I see the merits of clean air too. I can understand VFR owners wanting to keep it more original in concept.

When I got the VFR, I immediately installed the Givi with it's slight flip profile, didn't really want the MRA. I added Convertibars, and stumbled on a used Russell seat for cheap... which is a tad higher and allowed a good footpeg situation, did not need lowering pegs. Best seat ever, but I haven't come across one on another VFR, most seem to opt for Sargent or Corbin. I saw the merits of the VFR as a sport tourer, but it's short of being an FJR or ST1300. I recently bought a Versys 1000 and that was instantly comfortable with a new windshield only, it's my go to sport tourer now for trips of any length. The VFR to me is more of a secondary sport tourer that I can take to all the twisties and play. Maybe even the odd couple of days trip, but not for a 2-3 week tour. I see some potential here as my VFR is quite comfortable ergonomically.

I added a Chinese adjustable deflector (pic soon), which is quite OK almost... not sure I'd put a Rifle barn door on it, but I do have a large Parabellum w/s here off a V-Strom that might have some potential. You've prompted me to at least see what the possibilities are. IMHO, using the Rifle idea from the FJR, the real benefit is air flowing under it, thus reducing turbulence at the top. Last FJR I had a V-stream which I shimmed up further off the body, and that airflow under it theory does work quite well.

So following along to see what you come up with, particularly how you mounted the V-Stream, I get the idea from your pics, maybe you have a couple more....