Evo side rack and hi-level exhaust.

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Norse, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    I would like a hi-level exhaust for my 2000 VFR, but I would also like to be able to mount a SW-Motech Evo side rack.

I have seen a few photos of racks over hi-level but nothing that indicates if it can be done without modification and only seen it with Givi racks.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

There are several fairly low profile exhausts out there, but I have no real idea how much room I have to work with vs. how they sit.

2. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    x2 - I'd be curious about what racks and side bags folks have successfully fitted to a 5th Gen with a hi-mount exhaust. The BW can I run is fairly narrow and doesn't protrude very far past the width of the tail section and I hope that I can add luggage at some point without having to change the exhaust.

The only pic I have handy that give an decent idea of fitment is this one:
    20180826_153937.jpg

3. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    I actually just ordered the same exhaust, only in stainless. How do you like it?

4. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    I really like it. My only gripe (and it is a small one)- I wish BW used a nice stamped & painted metal logo like other manufacturers. The quality, fit, and finish is all very nice, especially considering the price point. Sound is good, not quite as low as the TBR low mount I replaced, but I expected it since the BW can is carbon fiber and a smaller diameter. It isn't too loud with the baffle in, at idle or on the road (I've never taken the baffle out). There isn't any drone at highway speeds (which is one of the things I really dislike about the Supertrapp on my CB750F), but it still has some nice bark when you rev it out and it makes a great noise during aggressive riding.

Some more pics of the exhaust on the bike here: https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index...-20yr-refresh/&do=findComment&comment=1087414

5. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    Looks great.
    Mine came a couple of days ago. Haven't had time to install it yet. But it looks good and feels like it should cut quite a few lbs off the old horse.
    And the welding on that thing is just beautiful. About as good as I have ever seen.

6. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Norse - did you ever attempt to mount a rack over the exhaust? If so, I'd love to hear how it turned out.

7. Wiggo

Wiggo New Member

United Kingdom
    I'm about to do the same thing but with a Givi Wingrack 2. Watch this space...

adk_finn likes this.
  8. Wiggo

Wiggo New Member

United Kingdom
    So I ended up getting the Wingrack2 because it seemed to offer more flexibility to clear a high mount pipe than the regular frames than Givi do. Sadly, the 5th Gen mounting kit is no longer available, but I managed to get a NOS universal mounting kit. That's a bunch of bent metal bars and I would suggest is as much use as tits on a fish. DIY time...

1. The most likely mounting points, as well as the strongest and the ones that do not need the rear fairing to be cut are the passenger grips. So I use some spacers and cut and drilled two strips of hot rolled steel. Each strip is 412mm x 35mm x 6mm (ΒΌ"), and the holes are on 210 and 230mm centres:
    [​IMG]

2. Matching chunks of steel were cut to length to span two of the Wingrack mounting points, and drilled and bolted on using the spacers from the Universal Mounting Kit. Later, I will round off the ends of these, but this is just test assembly for now:
    [​IMG]

3. The ends of the flat bars were chamfered ready for welding. As they are thick, they will need good weld penetration:
    [​IMG]

4. The Wingrack is placed on the bike and rested on a box to get the position correct, then the brackets tack welded in place:
    [​IMG]

5. Once tack welded, the rack with be disassembled for final welding, cleanup and painting:
    [​IMG]

6. Here you can see the clearance from the rack to the pipe:
    [​IMG]

Once everything is finalized, the bars between the grab rail mounts will be removed to allow the seat mechanism to reach the lock, and two of the bars from the Universal kit will attach from the forward corner of the Wingrack to the peg hangers...

9. Wiggo

Wiggo New Member

United Kingdom
    Norse, looking at the SW-Motech EVO racks, it seems that you could probably get away with a similar approach. You will need to be handy with a MIG welder, though...

10. Wiggo

Wiggo New Member

United Kingdom
    OK, all buttoned up and painted, two Givi E41 cases painted to match the bike. Pretty pleased with this lot...

[​IMG]

VFRIRL and adk_finn like this.
  11. adk_finn

adk_finn New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks good Wiggo, thanks for sharing.

12. Wiggo

Wiggo New Member

United Kingdom