Ever seen an upside down VFR??

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Rollin_Again, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Ever seen an upside down VFR before? I have. It used to belong to my buddy Adam a few hours ago. It is now owned by Progressive Insurance. This incident happened on Hwy 60 about 8 miles North of Suches, GA. Adam is bruised and bummed out but otherwise ok thanks to his leathers and other gear. His bike went wide into corner before lowsiding and leaving the roadway about 30 feet down a steep embankment landing in the position seen in the pics. Adam slammed hard pretty but was extremely lucky to have let go when he did. I was riding lead position most of the morning and just a few minutes after switching positions this happens. I watched in disbelief as the whole thing unfolded right in front of me. I quickly pulled over and was relieved to find him climbing up the embankment on his own. Thank he was not injured and thank god for safety gear!! I think he might be able to salvage some fairing bolts if anyone needs any. Adam, I hope you have plenty of Advil and hope you heal up soon. You are one lucky dude!!

2012-03-19-098[1].jpg 2012-03-19-090[1].jpg 2012-03-19-095[1].jpg

Rollin

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Woooooooooooooow that is suck, glad your friend Adam is ok and in one piece. Speedy recovery Adam, now you can shop for a replacement. Been there before.......

3. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Negative Bueno. Always hate to hear of another rider going down. But looking at the pics, I do find it somewhat chuckle worthy that the center stand is up.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Tell Adam it could of been alot worse-Thank God he's OK, Next time tell him not to ride with his center stand down-I know, not funny :(

5. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    That totally sucks. MAN that totally sucks.

ATTGATT all the way. Glad to hear Adam is in one piece.

Jose

6. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Glad he is OK, But new bike shopping is fun .

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Those photos had death written all over them. Just like this:

IMGP0357.jpg

He was also wearing the right gear and managed to walk away from that one with a fairly bandly broken up hand. Haven't heard from him since a few months after that happened but he was well on the mend by that time

8. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    ATGATT for the win again!! Glad Adam is mostly ok except for some bumps and such. Really pissed everyone got to the centerstand jokes before me tho, first thing I noticed!!

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Funny. My centre stand was caught up in some ramps a couple weeks ago now I have sore ribbs. You know, it isn't really that funny either. Still hurts to sneeze. Taking a crap is getting easier with sufficient quantities of prunes. But come to think of it, just before I went to ride it up those ramps :)doh:) I put on my helmet and gloves. Already was wearing the jacket and boots.

10. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Dude, screw riding up ramps. If I don't have enough bodies to help me push the bike up ramps, then it ain't goin on. The net is friggin sloppy with videos of some YAHOO dropping a bike several feet to its doom while trying to ride up a damn ramp.

,Jose

11. JuMbOdOg

JuMbOdOg New Member

Bloody hell !! Glad all is OK. I had an unfortunate episode of watching my son low side while going pretty quick on a hairpin. He slid onto the other side of the road, luckily nothing was coming the other way. It's such a fine line between good and bad.

12. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I forgot to mention that his GoPro was filming while it happened and we found the camera while waiting on a tow truck. We will see if there is anything interesting on the video but I suspect it came off pretty early since it was mounted on the passenger peg on the side that went down. Also saw pics of his injuries to his left hip and thigh. The bruising looks very painful and covers his entire left side lower body from the hip down his leg and all the way round to his rear. I could only imagine what he would look like had he only been wearing jeans and t-shirt like many jackasses we saw out yesterday.

Rollin

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Bummer dude! Not a good way to start the riding season. Glad he's OK and smart enough to ATGATT. Time to find another steed.

14. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I hate to see that. Glad your buddy came through it relatively intact.

My GoPro ejected the battery, memory card when I crashed at the track. The video was corrupt. I was able to recover it with a tool and got most of the video but no sound. Unfortunately, the last 30-40 seconds were gone so I don't have footage of the crash.

15. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad Adam is A-OK.

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Glad ur bud is OK, I heard of Suches Georgia before, heard there are some neato roads there. Metal can always be replaced/repaired, injuries to the human are worse.

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That must of been hell watching this happen to your son right in front of you. The only real fear I ever had in my former life was arriving at a bloodied messy accident scene and to find one of my kids or wife messed up or dead.

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I ride dirtbikes up ramps, but only if it's my truck and not a steep incline. I have dropped my VFR using a loading ramp improperly even though I wasn't riding the bike up. I just had the ramp too steep because my truck was too tall. Never again.

oh, and :focus: I notice you said the bike went wide in the corner or something rather than your friend. I think it was likely both. Nothing personal, just aggravating you. Glad he was wearing gear and is doing ok.

19. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    Hating it for Adam right now, make sure he has some Bourbon handy...This is almost one year to date since Vince slid off the road up there. Be safe and tell Adam if he doesn't have a bike before T-Mac then he can take my 50cc.

20. brianereed

brianereed New Member

I just saw a photo of a speed triple that went for a swim after a crash. It is always sad to see a pretty bike in an ugly situation. Like you're friend, the rider was less damaged due to good gear.