Euro Tour May 09

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Khello, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Khello

Khello New Member

Greetings everyone,

I guess this should be different from the average “I just got a vfr!” first post. I’ve had my 03 interceptor for a short while now and starting May 2nd, I’m renting a VFR from London for a month to bum around France, Spain, and Italy. It'll be my real visit to Europe and I'm super excited!

The route starts in London, over to France, Spain, go along to the med coast back into France and over to Italy, then shoot North to get back to England to fly home.

I really don’t have any specific questions, but I’ll take all the advice you guys are willing to provide.

Cheers!

2. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    Hi Kello,
    Great tour ! The only thing that I can say is : 1) be careful in France and Italy where the speed limit is 130 km/h in Highways and LEO are very "hard" with bikers going too fast.
    2) Provide a good garment because passing across Europe you can find all kind of weather (warm weather with sun but also rain and cold). Enjoy your trip and be sure that along the way you will find good people and good bikers.
    Maybe you will reach the south of Italy ? Let me know, I live In Naples.
    Stay safe !
    Lamps.
    Carmine

3. Khello

Khello New Member

Hi Carmine,

Thanks of the advice on the LEO and 130 kmh. I guess if I get a ticket they'd want me to pay it on the spot. I don't even want to think how expensive it would be there. Here's it's like $3 for each mile over the speed limit and a processing fee.

Yes, I figured with the altitude changes things could get really cold. I'm layering up with 2 layers of under armor, a fleece jacket, my hiking wind breaker, balaklava, glove and sock liners. However, I’m taking my perforated leather jacket so hopefully I’ll be ok. I may pack some hiking warmer packets just in case.

I have a question for you now. It’s actually for everyone reading this about their respective city. Is it safe to leave a motorcycle parked near one of the tourist attractions and just walk around on foot? The bike comes with OEM hard bags, I have a disk lock with alarm, and I modified my gear so I can run a steel cable through it and lock it to the bike. But locks will only slow the determined thief for a minute or two. What’s your advice on this?

I should make it to Naples. A friend of mine recommended going to Capri through Naples. Here’s my tentative route. I’m hoping I’ll have it finalized by Saturday so I can make my hotel/hostel reservations.

London
    Paris
    Orleans
    Le Mans
    Millau
    Toulouse
    Bordeaux
    Zaragoza
    Madrid
    Gibraltar
    Barcelona
    Marseille
    Monaco
    Milano
    Modena
    Roma
    Napoli
    San Marino
    Venizia
    Strasbourge
    London

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

4. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    HI,
    really a nice tour. Well, great idea tovisit Capri through Naples. It is a wonderful place.
    Yes, "tickets" by LEO are expensive in Italy (in average 150 € !!!!), so be careful and drive quiet. My opinion is that it is better to find a "garage" ( I mean a protected parking area) to park your bike, it is certainly a new bike with bags etc...so it is better to find a "watched place". Before to park, ask and agree for the price....
    Anyway, have a nice trip and if you want send me a private message : no problem to give you my mobile phone number ; it could be useful when you will be in my area, maybe we can "arrange" for a VFR date !
    Ciao and lamps !
    Carmine

5. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

:attention:

Take me!!!

:wave:

:pray:

Or at least post plenty of cool pictures and videos!

:drool: :pop2: