ELectrical problem on my 1995 VFR750

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JIMLARCH, Sep 7, 2015.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    My 1995 VFR750 hasn't been running quite right lately. It felt as if the engine was getting progressively rougher. Today I was at a friends house and we adjusted the carbs using vacuum gauges. Two were slightly out and we synched them.

I started for my 90 k trip home. From the outset the bike engine felt very rough. I got about 5 k from home when the speedo needle started bouncing a few times and the stopped working. 2 k from home the bike stalled at a stop sign. I tried the starter and it wouldn't work. I bump started the bike. It started and the speedo starting working again

I got home. Switched off and tried starter. Nothing. I used my volt met er and it registered 11.8 volts.

I charged the battery. When charged the battery started the bike. Above 2500 rpm the voltmeter was showing 14.5 volts.

Right now I am somewhat confused. I don't see that the carb adjust affected the running of the bike and seeing as the battery went flat I am assuming an electrical problem. Any help would be appreciated.

2. NormK

NormK New Member

Check your earths

3. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I researched this site. RUBO has an excellent thread on checking the electrics. Conducted both stator and regulator tests. They seem fine. Went through my wiring and used dielectric on the connections. Only ridden the bike for 60 miles so far but no further problems. Stopped every so often and battery showing a full charge.

I plan on getting a volt meter for the dash. At least that way if the problem reoccurs I'll be somewhat forewarned

4. NormK

NormK New Member

Way to go Jim