Electrical Issue Causing the Bike to stop running

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Tim Collins, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Tim Collins

Tim Collins New Member

United States
    Hi All new to the vfr got a sweet deal on a 2002 took it out and the motor died i jiggled front sub harness and it started up got it home now i run it and i jiggle the front sub harness and it will die. how do i troubleshoot this thing?

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Tim and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

When you get time please swing by the "introductions part of the forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here, and tell us a bit about yourself and perhaps add a photo or two of your VFR.

As for the wiring issue it would be helpful to know a bit more about your 6th Gen and its history. Perhaps the first thing to check is whether the wiring harness recall was done - a call to Honda dealer with your VIN should allow them to check. If the recall is outstanding then just get the bike booked in with the dealer and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

If the recall has bene done then it suggests that at least one connection is loose providing intermittent contact, which can in turn be a consequence of the bike being dropped. I would focus on wiring to the starter and kill switch as they can cause the engine to cut out.

This wiring diagram may help - www.lifford-cooke.com/motorbiking/documents/wiringdiagram.jpg

You may also want to download a pdf copy of the manual and refer to the electrical trouble shooting guidance.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

SkiMad

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'd almost put money on the earth on that connector.