Dynojet Commander III USB or Rapid Bike kit for VFR800 FiX (2000)?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by J800VFR, Feb 13, 2017.

1. J800VFR

J800VFR New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I've been spending a bit of money on my VFR800 FiX recently.

The bike has done almost 31k miles, so I've had a full 32K service done. The service included valve clearances, changing engine oil & hydraulic fluids for fully synthetic, new clutch plates, springs & bearing, new rear tyre (Bridgestone T30 Evo) and new rear brake pads (EBC).

So far the bike's had the following mods (not all done by me, with some done a few years ago by a previous owner):

1. Ohlins rear shock
    2. Reworked front forks (Maxton engineering in the UK)
    3. LED bulbs all round (with matching flasher relay)
    4. Regulator Rectifier changed (a few years ago for updated version) although I had to solder in new wires where they had burnt out on the junction box near the Reg/Rect.
    5. Harris rear-set footpegs
    6. Remus stainless steel exhaust system (complete)
    7. RG crash-bungs
    8. Respray (2 years ago)
    9. Personalised number-plate (J800 VFR, originally bought in 1998 for my first VFR800)
    10. Honda HRC tank protector
    11 K&N air & oil filters
    12 Goodridge braided stainless steel brake and clutch hydraulic hoses (new)
    13 USB charge socket
    14 Smoked double bubble screen
    15. Folding clutch & brake levers (red)

I'm also seriously considering a fuel injection remapper unit.

The two that are available are the DynoJet Commander III usb and the Rapid Bike kit.

The cost of the basic modules is about the same, but the RB kit has an optional wide-range Lambda sensor, but with additional wiring kit, it almost doubles the price so it would then cost more than the DynoJet kit including the cost of professional fitting and tuning on a rolling road dynamometer.

I would appreciate any helpful comments from owners who've tried these boxes so I can make my decision as to which I should order and whether the additional cost of the Rapid Bike kit is worth it.

2. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    Have you asked on the other forum? I would like to know for my 1998 as well, it's currently had the PC 3 installed with custom map but would like to unleash more factory power.

Art

3. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    If its a 2000 it should have the stock narrow band O2 sensors that can do the self mapping for fuel so no need for a dyno run or a wide band O2 . The Rapid Bike racing module also allows for changing ignition timing that gives a good boost to mid RPM hp.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

+1, I spoke with CandyRed46 about the RB Racing and it does appear to be a better option all the way round than the Power Commander. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an RB Racing for my 6 Gen.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    RB is great for the new bikes with all the sensors and all, IMO pretty pricey for what you get for the 98-99, might be a good way to go with the 2000-01 version though. IDK. I'd stick with the PC3, that's what I did for the money and got a great tune, that got me the most out of a K-N air filter, haha now see that a piper cross is the way to go, but that will have to wait until....... then have the Staintune, now for a header that can complement the get in, with getting it out.

BTW, hows the KN oil filter working for you J800? SMh with a smile, might want to change that out asap. Just saying.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. artpongs

artpongs New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the piper cross filter, high mount micron. I have a high mount stain tune in a box as well. I do wan't a header if tyga makes it but I think that is in limbo now.

Art

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well yea, the TYGA is looking to be in the past, why i'm researching what I have up my sleeve while I'm looking for the next to impossible Erion racing version.

8. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    For the 6th gen it's more worth it. You can use your stock sensors and auto tune.

Early 5th gen you'd have to weld bungs and buy sensors to get that, or dyno tune it, making it a hell of a lot more expensive. 5.5gen with the narrow band sensors... well, it might be worth it there, too if that actually works. The one positive of the exhaust changes to the 2000/2001 model, even though they used the sensors solely to fuck it up in stock form. Go figure.

All my poorly informed opinion, of course.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Ironically, I found that the 5 Gen I have (01) gets better gas mileage and performs well as-is. The 6 Gen though really needed something to smooth out the roughness. I added a PCV as the PO had put on a 2Bros exhaust and it was backfiring and having all sorts of "stumbling" issues. In hindsight, it probably was more related to TB sync than anything but putting in the PCV definitely helped, with the exception of MPG. It did drop a few MPG but the overall performance was enhanced.

Since the OP has a 2000, which does have the O2 sensors, I thought I'd mention the RB racing module.

10. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    You're lucky having such good fuel mileage.

Fuelling on my 2001 was complete shite. Bad mileage, too. And the fuel saving/emission saving mode when holding steady throttle was HORRIBLE. I got a PC-III for cheap and it solved a lot of problems. Though the biggest problem solver was jamming a resistor in the 02 sensor connector. Man did that fuel saving mode drive me up a wall! Even with a not great stock map I get 35 more miles out of a tank.

Of course, the rapid bike website says you can't use the tuning on any 5th gen without their youtune or whatever it's called, so I assumed you needed wide band sensors and their other module. Candyred says otherwise. It is still pretty expensive, but if the narrowband sensors work for tuning the premium is a lot smaller over a PC-III done right, which will cost $500 for a cheap PCIII and dyno tuning. Having a proper, real time tune and other toys might be worth a couple hundred extra to folks. I'd consider it for certain.

11. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    What are you trying to accomplish by remapping? That would help you get better responses.

Just another opinion, but if you're not tracking the bike, do you really use more power than the bike already has, IF that's your motive?

Lastly, ditch the K&N oil filter. Look around on this forum and you'll learn why.

Lastly, have your valves needed much if any adjustment in the bike's life?

Nice bike you've made it into.

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have to say the best mileage I got out of my 5 Gen was coming home from the VFRWorld R3 event last year. I got 53 MPG and literally could have made it all the way home (Atascadero to Anaheim) on one tank of gas. I was only about 3 miles from home when I stopped and filled up. I was at 244 miles and filled up the tank with 4.612 gallons! It was close to being fully empty but enough gas left that I could have done made it home.