Dreaming of a VFR

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fotodaddy, Jul 31, 2008.

1. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Hi all!! Started riding about 5 years ago with a Suzuki RF400. The bug bit. Hard. Pretty soon (like 2 months) it was time to change and I got a Suzuki GSF400. Moved on to a Honda CBR600F and have had it for close to 3 years and done about 10,000miles on it.

I have always dreamed of a VFR, and following my last spill (1 year ago and a broken collar bone) I decided that this dream must come true. And soon.

Its taken a while but now I am ready and on the look out for a good example. Must have ABS and be from 2005 on.

So thats it. See y'all around

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard. Good luck in your search and let us know what you get.

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome foto. I also wish you luck in your quest for your precious. Get it? foto, precious?
    Sorry.

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Just out of curiousity what attracted you to the VFR? What color are you thinking about and have you test ridden a VFR before?

Regards,
    Rollin

5. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Thanks. Will keep you posted.

6. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Just out of curiousity what attracted you to the VFR? What color and year model are you thinking about? Have you test ridden a VFR before?

Regards,
    Rollin

I am not one for speed. I prefer comfort. I found the reviews on the VFR extreemly encouraging. My friend has a 1999 model (I think?? its an anniversay edition) and I rode this once. I am 6'4" and I found it quite comfortable. On the looks, and the model I want, I want one with ABS. My thinking is that i am less likely to loose it that way. The year I have in mind is from 2005 as this is when the clear indicators started. I really am indifferent to color. I need to change my kit anyway so I'll do it tomatch whatever color I get.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    These bikes are definately more comfy compared to pure sport bikes. Most sport bike riders complain that the VFR lacks power and is heavier compared other bikes. I've owned a variety of motorcycles in my lifetime and I chose the VFR because it is a great all around bike that can still hold it's own in the twisties. At 35 years old and being married with a 4 year old I am way past my "foolish" stage in life. I no longer care about popping wheelies or what the top speed is or how fast it can cover the quarter mile. The bottom line is that I've got a great looking bike that I can ride for 500 miles and not feel too sore when I get home. The VFR also happens to be extremely reliable and has a long lifespan. It is not uncommon to see or hear of people riding VFRs that are in great condition with 70,000+ miles on them.

You sound like you are buying the bike for the right reasons and I am sure you will be happy with your decision. BTW...My 07' VFR doesn't have ABS and I'm 100% happy with the performance of the linked braking system. I say if you find a good deal on a non-ABS model go for it!!

Good luck to you!!

Regards,
    Rollin

8. V_to.the.fifth

V_to.the.fifth New Member

Map
    :ncb:

Good, 'cause that's not what I'm looking for...

:)

9. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Could this really be so?? :rolleyes:

I'll really like to know. Guys!!! Is it really worth shelving out an extra 1K for ABS?? I was of the opin that it could really make a difference in an emergency!!

10. ILVFR75

ILVFR75 New Member

ABS could certainly make a difference in a panic-braking situation, especially in the wet. i don't have ABS and i'm kinda glad i don't. i feel like i have a more direct connection with the bike. no electronic gizmos b/w me and the tires, just some brake fluid. maybe that doesn't make any sense, i don't know.

11. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

I guess this is the exact reason why I want ABS. If the ABS is anything like that in my car, then I dont think there is any gizmo-interference until it is necessary. Any other views on the ABS thingy??

12. tbone

tbone New Member

Not to open up a can of worms here but I'd check into those clear indicator covers a little more if I were you. I was riding with a friend with clear indicators and I couldn't even tell his blinkers were on when it was a really sunny/bright day. Just my .02 but I thing the amber lenses are way more noticeable.

13. tbone

tbone New Member

The thing I love most about the ABS is being able to stab the rear brake anytime you want and not worry about locking it up. I haven't ridden the rain yet but I hear it's a blast too.

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I was cruising along a wooded two-lane with patchy sunlight/shade. All of a sudden I spotted a couple of deer on the shoulder VERY close up ahead. Wham on the brakes! Getting that front wheel shudder and I modulate the front brake. All is well. That time.

I would love ABS but the used VFR I purchased doesn't have it.

15. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

I guess thats it. I ride in all kinds of weather. Just a confirmation that it must be an ABS model.

And the thing with the clear lenses is that you must replace the bulbs with the right kind. The amber color would come with the right bulb. If you put a wrong kind of bulb or the amber film has peeled away, then I guess you might miss it's blinking.

16. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

Finally my search has ended. I got a 2006 white VFR with ABS. The great thing is that this bike is BRAND SPANKING NEW. I am so excited!!! It was such a good deal. Got the bike for a price that made me wonder if there was something wrong with it but the dealer has put me quite at easy. The bike has a full Honda warranty and even though I will not benefit from that (as I am shipping the bike to Africa) it reasures me that everything is in order.

I guess that my shippers should be picking it up next week and all thing being equal, I should have it in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Cant wait to post pictures of her. I am already buyiing extras. The first on my list is a hugger. Found a very nice one on ebay and should have it sometime next week.

I will wait till i get on her to know what else i need.

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me.

See you all around!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  17. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats, man! We need pics!

18. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

These are the pictures the dealer sent me. The bike was actually posted on ebay a couple of days back but the bidding didnt hit the reserve. I called the dealer up and we struck a deal. Alls well that ends well:tongue:

Attached Files:

19. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Congrats on your new purchase I'm sure you'll love her. Just one thing though....You do realize that the white VFR's are not as fast as the other colors right? :wink:

Enjoy your bike. If you treat her right she'll last for a long long time.

Regards,
    Rollin

20. fotodaddy

fotodaddy New Member

@rolling

Yeah right!!!

Thanks. I'll post some more pics when she finally arrives in Lagos.