Double bubble Or Sport touring screen?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by cybrstar, Dec 4, 2008.

1. cybrstar

cybrstar New Member

Map
    Okay, as you all know I am looking in to purchasing a windscreen.

What do you guys have on your bikes? I noticed that there are two different windscreens available from Zerogravity.

Which do you guys have? The stock, Double bubble, or Sport touring?

Also which tint? Clear, Light smoke, or Dark?

If I were to purchase a Dark Sport Touring shield will I still be able to see through it at night? I normally commute to work at 5AM (Pitch dark) and use my VFR alot.

Does the Double bubble provide enough wind protection if I wanted to do a long ride with it?

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    What you are asking is a personal preference really. You can do a seach on here, as there are many many threads on this subject.

stock = stock
    DB = better wind protection
    ST = best wind protection of the three

What are you concerned about mostly, style or function? I cannot answer that for you. Think of driving (or should be) looking thru their windscreen at night anyways. I have the tinted DB, and I like it....some like the stock look, some like the DB look, and some like the touring look/function best. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

3. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

I've got the DB in dark smoke. It reduced buffeting down to a minimum and makes freeway speeds way less fatiguing. I can go all day now. Oh and it's way sexy.

The people with the touring screens like them, but they're damn fugly. If you go that route, go light or clear since they're ungodly big.

Here's a profile a good shot of the DB on the bike (dark smoke)

[​IMG]

And given our current economic-pseudopocalypse, you can save a few bucks buying direct from Zero Gravity's headquarters in Camarillo. ZGOutlet.com (wish I was making commission off these clowns).

They're easy enough to swap, you could pick up the uber-sexy DB dark smoke AND get a discount ST light smoke second (they're really tough to find flaws in) to have for rainy season or long rides when you don't care if you look like a dork or not. ;)

4. JHKolb

JHKolb New Member

I have the ZG ST in light smoke on mine, it is actually not all that much taller than the stock screen. You would think the ST screen would make a big improvement on the highway but I've found it actually made helmet buffeting a bit worse.

I have Heli-Bars so i sit a bit higher and with the ST screen wind is deflected up into my helmet rather than lower into my chest so I get a lot of helmet buffet. The ST screen does make ducking down under the screen easier and looking thru the light smoke is fine, even at night but is a very uncomfortable position for extended distances.

[​IMG]

5. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

I am trying to decide between these two windscreens from MRA. Twisted Throttle.com imports them to the US.

MRA VarioTouringScreen
    [​IMG]

or

MRA SpoilerScreen
    [​IMG]

LINK Catalog

6. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Big difference in the shape/function of the 4th/5th gen shields compared to the 6th.

7. csb

csb New Member

Australia
    Map
    I have a powerbronze screen from the UK, smoke d/b, excellent quality and fitment is spot on, i think it is a much better screen than the zero gravity, really did reduce turbulence, have a look on their website.

8. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    ST here. I don't "look" through it but it is possible if I lay on the tank. It provides great weather protection for the cold and rain so my helmet is the only thing sticking out. As far as buffeting goes it does do it slightly if my head is in the wrong place. A minor adjustment up, down, back, or forward cures that though. Very happy with it. I've had DBs on other bikes and they seem worthless but look better than stock. Not sure what color mine is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Necro_99

Necro_99 New Member

I have the DB in red. Not my first choice... the PO put it on the bike. Actually, I think I'll sell it. It's in good condition. $50 + S/H. If anyone's interested, PM me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2008
  10. CdnVffer

CdnVffer New Member

Wind Screen

I've got the DB dark windscreen after replacing the original which I still have. I have found a big difference, it's less buffity with wind it's more aerodynamic . It just helps the bike cut the wind and also when on a long trip I find the wind off the screen hits just right in the shoulders, and helps take the pressure off my hands and wrists on long trips. Last year I went from Ottawa to Niagara falls which is about a5.5 to 6 hours trip! No fatigue and well to be honest it just makes a bike like my vfr 5th gen just look even more beautiful and slick! Here's a piture of it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. Spectre

Spectre New Member

My first aftermarket windscreen was a ZG Double Bubble, touring version. I didn't like it because it felt rather flimsy and I found little improvement over the stock windscreen, but that's just me. I next tried Givi's touring windscreen (dark smoke) and I'm very satisfied with it.

12. holleros

holleros New Member

Map
    The sport touring is better than the double bubble. I tried all three in the model 90/93.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Carnage

Carnage New Member

I just put a ZG DB on my '07 and I like it. It moves the wind from hitting me in the chest to hitting the top of my helmet. It is a little bigger than the stock WS but it still looks pretty good.

14. dale-j

dale-j New Member

MRA Screens

I splashed the $$ to get the VarioTouring Screen on my FJ1200 and enjoyed the ability to adjust it (as directed, only with the bike stopped - Riiiiight...) on the fly to eliminate buffeting regardless of the speed.

I have ridden a 6G with the SpoilerScreen and it was much better than stock or a DB, but would still buffet a bit depending on body position at certain speeds. The adjustable lip might be fugly but it's gold on the highway.

The only drawback with the VTS on my FJ was that in hot weather it did not flow a lot of cooling air over the rider and only the top vents on my helmet were in the airstream usually.

Here's some pics of the one on the FJ. The shield was high quality with very very good optics (better than ZG DB's, stock, and Givi's) and fit, finish and function of the adjusting mechanism was flawless. My personal take is that you can see through the upper part clearly so I would not get it tinted and compromise the ability to see clearly in bad weather.

I'll probably get the SpoilerScreen on my FZR1000, simply because they don't offer a VTS.

Cheers....

Attached Files:

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    ive got the zero gravity sport touring on mine. its the smoke tint and i love it. i think the double bubble might have looked a little better, ill probably never see it in person, but when im on the highway i sure am happy i got it.

16. sweet97

sweet97 New Member

Map
    I bought that red ZGDB from Zerosum, and am very happy with it - I even kinda like the red color!:thumbsup: It made a huge difference over the stock screen - it moved the wind blast up over my shoulders. No helmet buffeting to speak of, either.

Dave P.

17. leanit

leanit New Member

I went with the Double bubble and it is light smoke. I looked at the touring screens but was afraid they would take away from the clean lines of the bike. I posted pics in the member's galleries. I feel it helps a little better than the stock screen but my wife says she feels a little more buffeting.
    Good luck, JD