Do our 8th gen VFR's utilize any magnesium?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by SubyRS, Dec 19, 2022.

1. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    Since my 14' VFR is the most modern motorcycle I have ever owned since my 92' CBR, I was just wondering if magnesium is still used anywhere on our bikes? It used to be some engine case parts were magnesium. But today I don't know.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I recall seeing a Honda catalog description of an earlier VFR gen where the alloy wheels were made with a mix of Aluminium, Magnesium and Nickel. I would not be surprised if the 8th Gen wheels had a similar if not identical composition.

As for the use of Magnesium (or other more costly alternative) in other VFR components you enter the realms of the eternal debate(row) between the designers seeking to create the most amazing quality machines and the bean counters who really just want profit. When it comes to the use of exotic materials sometimes the designers win and sometimes they do not. Where that balance lies and whether it best suits the customer really only becomes clear over time.

The good thing is that thus far most 20 year old Honda motorbikes seem to retain their looks and generally outlast equivalent similar era models from rival manufacturers. Perhaps we should have this debate again in 2042?

SkiMad :Smow::Smow::Smow::Smow::Smow::Smow::Smow::Smow::Smow:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  3. SubyRS

SubyRS Insider

United States
    Map
    I remember people would get their hands on some salvaged magnesium motorcycle parts and through them in the bon fire at the beach.
    It burns like a white flare from what I remember. Even my 73 XL250 had magnesium some motor case parts of magnesium. It was stamped on the parts.