Discontinued 5th gen decals now available

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by sfdownhill, May 7, 2017.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all. This has been a long journey. Let me summarize briefly, though except for Fruit of the Loom, brief is not in my nature.

***This line is the most important line of this thread to anyone interested in or trying to acquire decals for a 5th gen VFR:
    Go to this URL, purchase this decal set, and be done with it. These decals work with any color VFR and the only thing they lack is the fade across the letters "VFR". If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a set of these last July. Thanks to member Bweiss for sharing this site:
    https://www.moto-sticker.com/honda-...nda-vfr-800i-1998-red-version-sticker-set-dp2

If you're like me and you you like the fade across the letters "VFR" on the OEM logo, I can have the recreations in the photos below printed for you at $20 per side. There are details in and around the word "Interceptor" that stay with the transfer tape - the end result looks exactly like OEM. This is a right lower side cowl decal from a May 2017 print:
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    IMG_0887.JPG

Here is a left and right set:
    IMG_0886.JPG

*Stop reading here if you don't enjoy documentaries. There is nothing further in this post of any entertainment value.*

The history

- Last July I started trying to purchase replacement decals for my then-just-purchased red 5th gen. The previous owner had removed all the oem decals, except the tank decals which are under clear coat.

- I found that Honda had stopped manufacturing the OEM VFR logo decal located on the lower right cowl. At that time Honda still made the left lower cowl VFR logo decal and I bought one. Here is the leftside OEM decal:
    IMG_0891.JPG

- The only difference between the left side decal and the right side decal is the fade, which is dark at the rear of the letters "VFR" and light at the front. I am not very good w photoshop so I had someone use illustrator to reverse the decal's fade and create a right side decal.

- I took the left side OEM decal and my ai file of a right side decal to Fastsigns, a local graphics company that does decals, signs, and vehicle wraps. They kept my decal from October 2016 until April 2017, and attempted periodically to match the red of the OEM decal. The best they could come up with was a selection of Pantone colors, most of which were too orange or too brown, and none of which matched Honda R157 Italian Red.

- Sometime since July 2016, Honda has also stopped producing the left side decal as well.

- I found another decal creator, a bright dude named Kevin at another graphics firm, who quickly said "I'll take the red out of the decal." Brilliant. Exactly like the set of decals that were available from moto-sticker.com all along, except moto-sticker.com decals have no fade across "VFR". As I stated before, with hindsight being 20/20, I'd have bought the moto-sticker.com set and been happy knowing only vfrd and vfrw members would ever notice the absence of fade across "VFR".

That's all folks.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    JohnLaff and Samuel like this.
  2. brentlbaker

brentlbaker New Member

Look better than factory as fading won't matter

3. wiso

wiso New Member

United States
    Map
    What is the place Keven is at?

4. sfdownhill