Digital Dash - 1999 VFR

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Cycleman1, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    I'm having some issues with my digital dash on my 99 VFR.

Going down the highway it cycles on and off. Sometimes you can go for 10 miles and then just for 1/2 mile, and it will cycle again. Everything cycles on and off, including the clock. When it is on everything works fine, temp correct, fuel gauge etc. The cycling on & off makes no difference in the running of the bike, headlights etc, everything else just keeps working normal.

I have read a few posts about digital dash issues, most seem to be that it just goes out and those end up being a bad battery. The battery in the bike is fairly new and has a resting voltage of about 12.75 Volts, so I don't think it is the battery. Alternator/stator is charging properly and the yellow plug is in good shape, not fried. All fuses are good, tight in their socket.

I have checked all the connections behind the dash and everything is fine, no corrosion etc. The only option that the bike has is a set of Oxford Heated Grips that are wired directly to the battery on their own fuse.

I have suspected maybe a loose ground but the cycle is too random for that, bumps etc don't have any affect.

So I figured I'd post in this form to see if anybody has some thoughts on this issue.

2. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    Well I ended up solving my own problem.

I had read somewhere on one of the VFR forums that the clock on these bikes actually got its power from the fuse block and connector that is located just to the left of the starter solenoid, not from the main fuse block. So yesterday I went out to the garage and started checking this area of the electronics out.

I watched the clock as I wiggled the connector and sure enough the clock would go out and then come back on. So I had found my problem. Took the connector apart, some signs of small amount of corrosion. Cleaned up the contacts with contact cleaner, readjusted the connector so that there was more pressure on the pins, put some dielectric grease across the contact to help with future corrosion and replaced the 30 amp fuse.

Took the bike fore a 60 mile ride and everything worked as it should. Thought I should post this update for future reference.

Budo and blalor like this.
  3. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    OK was out for another ride, about 100 miles and when I got back into the city the dash went out again. When I got home I took the seat off and checked the clock fuse. It was good, but it wasn't making enough contact, it seemed to fit loosely in it's socket. I took the fuse out and bent the tangs slightly and put it back in. Clock and digital dash works again. When I have some time this winter I'll have to explore this area of the bike better. The entire fuse block is not in a really great place directly above the rear headers. Gets pretty warm in this area.

Budo likes this.
  4. PhoenixOO10

PhoenixOO10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for updating this past even though nobody replied. It is bound to help somebody out in the future!

Budo likes this.
  5. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    That was my thoughts.

6. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Glad you got it sorted out, and thank you for posting what you have found to solve the problem.