De linked 5th gen...

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, May 13, 2017.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ... is in the books. This should be right up there with suspension up grades. Not all that much of a task if you're all ready mechanically inclined. Big thanks to Mello Dude for having those nifty fender brackets too. Way better in what I was thinking about. I Used Spiegler for the brake lines, being custom made up. Man does this VFR stop now.

[​IMG]

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Bike is looking good mate.
    I also love my delink.
    Mine was for different reasons, I didn't mind the linked brakes, they certainly worked well.
    But taking 1.5kg of unsprung weight from the front wheel made a huge difference to suspension.
    Difference was so huge I ended up redoing all my shim stacks to suit.
    Being able to use the rear brake independently and getting so much more power and feel from the front was a bonus.
    I definitely would not go back.

3. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Did anyone tryed linked brakes with steel lines? Does it improve feel?

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    The Spiegler lines are braided stainless steal. What's cool with them is you also get the banjo end made to your liking as well as color choice. Here I went with smoke, also most went white, but thought that would be to much, and to keep these looking good a tad more effort, so went with a gray look, with SS banjos

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Sounds like it performs as good as it looks. Sweet!

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, I've put stainless lines on my linked brake '99. "Does it improve feel?" Please define the question. How I define "feel" and you define "feel" may be two entirely different things.

It doesn't stop any harder, that would be limited by the friction of your tires. The stock linked brakes will easily lock up the front wheel.

It takes less effort at the brake lever to exert the same amount of pressure on the disk by the brake pads. I run the shorty brake levers and can easily lock the front wheel with two fingers.
    But I also have the EBC HH brake pads.

Personally I don't believe that in normal street riding de-linking the brakes will be of much, if any, benefit. The VFR is perennially one of the hardest stopping bikes. However, de-linking will probably
    allow for better modulation of braking power by very experienced riders, and would probably be most useful on the track, I would imagine.

7. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    I define better feel as you stated a shorter length of lever travel for the same amount of brake power.
    That's just what i want. I'm happy with linked brakes as i'm not that kind of experienced driver. Actually 2 hours ago linked brakes saved my arse because the bike stopped great even with chinese brake pads when a retarded cutted in half over a double line lane when i was doing 60 on a blind corner (legally).

8. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The stainless lines definitely lessen the amount of pressure on the brake lever. You just don't get the line expansion you get with rubber lines. I think stainless lines are an excellent
    braking improvement. Especially when you're talking about 10-15 year old rubber brake lines. With rubber lines that old you can actually feel the lines expand with a hard brake squeeze.
    Look close and you can see it.