Cylinder 1 not sparking

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by dunkymunky, Jun 27, 2015.

1. dunkymunky

dunkymunky New Member

United Kingdom
    My 1991 VFR750 won't start. Turns over fine but wont start. Allow me to give you a break down of what's been done and checked. Bike was running perfectly before this was done:

Rear subframe swap went underway.
    Replaced starter motor clutch.
    New plugs (gaps checked)
    Oil and filter replaced.
    Cleaned contacts in kill switch (have double checked nothing is broken here)
    Put everything back together.

I'm getting sparks on cylinders 2, 3 and 4, but not on 1. Would this stop the bike starting? Surely if this was teh only issue it would run, but only on 3 cylinders?

Luckily I have another, fully working VFR so have swapped (1 by 1 to check source of the problem) CDI, starter relay, regulator and cylinder 1 coil. None of it got the bike working.

However, even when changing the coil over with one I know works, it didnt start. So I am suspecting a broken wire somewhere between teh CDI and the cylinder 1 coil. But as above - would this prevent the whole biek starting?

Could really do with your help here as I'm starting to lose the will to live with this bike :(

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    What are the battery voltages with key both off and on ??

3. dunkymunky

dunkymunky New Member

United Kingdom
    I don't have access to a multimeter but have healthy spark in cylinders 2,3and 4. Battery is new and fully charged

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Just suggesting........

oftentimes a plug may spark OK when out of the bike but spark will break down under cylinder compression if battery/charging voltage is too low.

And another idea: You won't get far riding Hondas and not owning (and learning how to use) a multimeter, as essential to our old bikes and as a useful as a tyre pressure gauge.

You substituted boxes, but a bad cdi can fail to fire just one plug, ya know ?