crosswinds !?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by usaf_VFR, Sep 1, 2006.

1. usaf_VFR

usaf_VFR New Member

Map
    does anyone have tips for riding in crosswinds? i mean gusty, unpredictable crosswind ... e.g., i was coming off the golden gate onto the marin headlands the other day (a particularly windy area), i got blown completely out of my lane :eek: (thankfully traffic wasn't too heavy). is the VFR (mine is an '03) just light enough to be blown around by a good crosswind? any tips other than "lean into it" (which doesn't work so well when it's blowing one way one second, the other the next, etc, etc)?

kevin

2. MBricker

MBricker New Member

Map
    I had the same experience coming over the Altamont Pass on the 580. All I could figure out to do was get in the far right lane and slow down.

-Mark

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had the same experience in the bay area. Given the VFR already weighs more than most sportbikes, I'm guessin you just have to deal with it. I pretty much had a little bit of a lean into the wind all the time waiting for it to slack up and then not letting myself go the too far over into the wind. I never left my lane which was good as I was crossing that bridge in my post over whatever bay is up north there and it had concrete walls on either side.

4. usaf_VFR

usaf_VFR New Member

Map
    thanks for the replies. it was unnerving enough to make me want to avoid the golden gate / marin headlands ... at least in the afternoon/evening when the wind gets going. i've found the bay and richmond bridges to be similar, but not as bad.

does anyone know if other places along the PCH have nasty crosswinds like that? i'm looking forward to riding portions of it, but would like to actually stay ON it :biggrin:

kevin

5. canib

canib New Member

Map
    I try to keep my upper body upright and counter steer into each gust of wind. When I try to lean in I end up over correcting myself.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've made the PCH run from here (central) to Monterey with no comparable wind gusts like those up there. It may be worse up there though.

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Go slow, just in case ?

Was once caught out riding in our Alpine region. Hit by a gale force winds and a light swirling snow starting ...Saw a BMW R1100S & a Ducati STS blown completely off the road into the scub in front of me...both riders were ok as weren't going too fast...

The gusting was so strong and varied in all directions all I could do was stay in the centre of the lane to give space to react as best I could with the bike leaned over at times going straight, was definatly a brown trouser moment.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  8. Tufelhunden

Tufelhunden New Member

Other than slowing down, best option, getting into a full tuck seems to help me as well. I have heard that a MRA, flip lip screen helps so a Double bubble should as well.

9. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
    My much heavier ST1300 was a lot more susceptible to crosswinds than my VFR. Ditto my much lighter SV1000. So it isn't the VFR per se.

I would add "anticipate" to the tips above. Look for visual clues like swaying trees and stuff blowing across the road. Expect crosswinds when you pass a semi, exit a forrest or enter a bridge. Set up for the crosswind just like you set up for a corner.

10. Lansonfloyd

Lansonfloyd New Member

In Vegas we have these wonderful sandstorm windblasts, and I learned something important from a fellow Vegas native rider:

Let the bike do what it wants to do, and stay loosey goosey. In high crosswinds, let your body float above the bike, and let the bike hold its own line.

And so far, in the three separate incredibly gusty sandblast storms my airfilter and myself have endured, this plan has worked for me quite well.

11. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I know what you're talking about on those Bay Area bridges, When I bought my VFR it was the Bay Bridge west bound that got me, But the worst ever was the Altamont a couple of years earlier. Wife still talks about that day.

It don't matter if you're on a 800lb Harley or a VFR, it still going to move ya. I always kept my weight on the side the wind was coming from and let it move me a yard or so. But even for a veteran rider, that wind gust feeling is like no other.

12. canib

canib New Member

Map
  13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    mmmm. Nope, just hang on. makes for some crazy times. Try getting hit by a 40knot cross, whew!!

14. JRotten

JRotten New Member

Best advise I can give is select a good position on the lane that you are driving on that allows for floating on the lane. Be relax and be prepare from disturbances encouter during a cross-wind that other vehicles can create. Over time, your experience will help you to not to suffer so much in these cross-winds.

15. elizilla

elizilla New Member

Sometimes it helps to stick your knee out in the direction the wind is coming from.

Other than that, just stay loose.

16. kmurph38

kmurph38 New Member

United States
    Map
    I try to stay on the side of the lane in the auto wheel track closest to the source of the wind if it's blowing across my path. Then, if a gust of wind moves the bike I'll have plenty of road to move into. Cross winds are the worst, but the extra weight on VFR helps. Try navigating the Santa Ana winds coming south out of the California mountains on Interstate 15! White knuckle time.

I've also sidled up alongside a truck so that the truck acts like a wind-break. Also, don't wear loose-fitting clothes - the wind will whip them around and you with them.

Other than that, I slow down and try to stay low so that the wind has less of me to grab. After a bout with heavy winds, I usually pull over to give myself (and my arms) a short rest from the struggle to stay upright.

17. Crash1973

Crash1973 New Member

Map

Slowing down is not neccessarily the best option. Where I live it is not uncommon to have 35 mph+ crosswinds that gust upwards of 65 mph+. Slowing down reduces the gyroscopic effect that the wheels have making the bike more unstable. The trick is to find that speed where you are going fast enough to be stable but not so fast that you don't have time to make corrections. Getting into a full tuck and creating a smaller sail is one of the best things you can do. You need to make the area above the bikes center of gravity as small as possible.