Countershaft seal replacement on a VF500F

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ron.cieri.313, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Hi all...been cleaning and fixing the easy stuff on my recent project purchase...a 1986 Honda VF500F...here's a pic

[​IMG]

With help from this forum, I was able to troubleshoot the fuel line issue and now she is running....bad news, leak profusely from the countershaft seal...not a hunch...can see leaking after removing the drive sprocket.

So...being the hard head that i am...first the wrong way:

[​IMG]

I know some peeps swear you can pull out the countershaft seal on some bikes or even this one but to me, seems a little insane after trying...hope I didn't ruin the crankcase with this insanity.

but now, the right way so I hope.

I've been stripping the bike of everything per the factory service manual...otherwise known as the good book and she is definitely coming apart alot easier then the 70 Honda's I've worked on...let's hope it keeps up...so far:

battery removed
    coolant drained
    oil drained and oil filter removed
    mufflers removed and the exhaust chamber has been loosend
    radiator off
    all plastics off

...proabably forgot something but I'm working my way down....imagine the carbs soon (keeping the plate on!)

...will keep a post going so I can ask questions and feel free to chime in at any time...thanks, ron.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You'll need the proper tools and need to be SUPER careful and organized to proceed further.

Not a job for someone who doesn't have the proper feel for tightening bolts or someone who misplaces small parts.

3. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 on dedicating a clean and well-lighted worktable to split the cases. Keep the FSM handy and take plenty of reference photos.

Good luck with your project and please keep us posted.

4. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Yes, I've split cases before but on a CB750 (twice actually)...label parts, torque wrench, photos...all part of the process for sure...will keep you all posted

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If large bearing is in need of replacement, you might need a machine shop with hydraulic press to complete the job. The seal usually fails just after the bearing starts to get wobbly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  6. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Okay, brief visual update...everything is off before the engine come out except the stubborn carbs...any good links on carb removal? Here's the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Okay, carbs are off and I have a jack under the motor...ready to undo the subframe and lift the engine out...just need a friend...hmmmmm

sorry for no pics as my wife has absconded with the digital camera...no sense of priorities

8. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Okay, waiting on a friend to help with the removal of the engine from the frame. I know I have more engine stripping to do but does anyone know if the cylinder heads and alternator rotor need to come off to split the cases?

My guess is no, the FSM does not mention it talk about it before engine removal, clymers does. The seem does not seem to require the cylinder heads be removed, have not looked behind alternator cover yet...thx.

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I could answer for a 3rd gen 750 but can't say on the 500.

take that camera back from the woman and keep the pics coming.

I used to pull the engine by myself on my 500 when doing top end work. Just use blocks to build up a platform underneath the motor.

10. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

She's in Ireland with my camera...arghhhh

It does seems like I could pull it myself...I have jack wtih a board under the engine and it looks like it will be balanced quite well...with room enough to lower the jack so the rear valve cover clears the frame above it.

I think i see ur point though about the fun beginning after the engine is out.

She comes back Monday...maybe the engine will out by then, maybe not...but I will take pics when its returned to its rightful owner

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    it does take some creative twisting to get the engine to drop out. it's doesn't just fall straight out. If you have back problems then it might be best to wait for a friend. I'm never that smart and sometimes more hands just get in the way.

12. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

This guy is strong young guy who has helped me (or actually pretty can do it himself), lift my sohc 750 out of the frame...he's done it twice and pretty much is worth waiting for cuz u know something will go wrong if I try myslelf...wife comes home to me in a cast, not good....she is still pretty much waiting for the garage to be burnt down to the floor someday.

13. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Okay, my bud came over and the engine is out...not too bad but it did take more wiggling the engine around then I might have thought...now I have to take off some crankcase covers, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

so, what's next...well the good book's organization leaves things a little vague at this point...but cross referencing against what the clymer's has I would say the clutch, and some of the gearing on the left side has to come off, the water pump, the starter motor (to access some crankcase bolts on the bottom), small water pipe that runs between both cylinder heads, shift mechanism, and the alternator...should be easy as pie ;)

I hope, i dont have to remove the cylinder heads...this is where things are sketchy...it may be necessary to remove the rear one as some upper crankcase bolts while accessible, might not have enough room above them to pull out of the crankcase once loosened...any thoughts, let me, otherwise the adventure continues...

15. sublunacy

sublunacy New Member

very nice writeup!
    Please keep me posted as I need to do this in 8 months/ next winter.
    Maybe start a parts list here of the pieces you need/ Are you doing anything else to it? clutch rod seal maybe? Like I said did you have a list of parts in mind or the bare minimum? did i miss something? haha the suspence is killing me!

16. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    +1. Please keep us posted on the progress. This is a great reference thread for VF500F owners.

17. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Thx...will try to take more pics then...current status is that I am taking the clutch off and need to go buy a "universal holder" to keep the alternator rotor from spinning so I can apply torque to the bolt holding the starter clutch assembly in place....like we said, a pic would help here.

I'm a slow steady worker so this will take awhile but will keep posting my progress...ron.

18. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Oh as far as parts are concerned, I just order what i find missing or in bad shape or things just get destroyed in the process (alternator/left crankcase gasket cover last night), as I go....mufflers inserts, miscellaneous screws, carb heat guard, etc...its amazing what you find missing when you compare everything to the manual...it looks complete until till u really tear it down.....however, I would have like to have ridden the bike first to better access what I need to do more...like, was the transmission working well, any gears slipping, etc...now I will have to rely on visual inspection.

My attitude right now, it to not replace much I don't have to, but restore and clean to a nice working condition as I go. I guess the pushrod seal wouldn't be a bad idea but it was not leaking before the tear down...so we'll have to see on that one.

19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Pop those valve covers off and inspect each camshaft lobe for scoring.

20. ron.cieri.313

ron.cieri.313 New Member

Okay will read up on that...figure I will at least end up doing a valve adjustment also with access being so easy at this point.