Clutch issue

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by chris.neale, Jul 14, 2020.

1. chris.neale

chris.neale New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi all
    Next issue after bringing the old girl back to life

Before she was laid up for quite some time the clutch would slip a little under full throttle and there wasn’t much fluid in the reservoir (dropped over v long time)

Before bringing her back to life I replaced the clutch and bled it as well. Now I’m finding the clutch lever is slow to return although the clutch seems to work fine apart from that. Have to say I’m not sure if the problem existed before this.

Is it more likely to be on the hydraulic side or the clutch basket side?

Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    If the fluid level dropped then my guess is the slave cylinder is on its way out and maybe the bore/piston is corroded. Easy enough disassemble for a look, seals are easy to swap, depends on the condition of the metal parts as to whether you need to go any further than that. Another thing to check is the long clutch pushrod through the motor, you can pull that right out from the slave side and clean/polish/lube it, may improve the action. I assume you cleaned and lubed the lever when you were doing the other work?

3. chris.neale

chris.neale New Member

United Kingdom
    So on the hydraulic side then, think I might bite the bullet and overhaul the master as well.
    Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk