Clutch issue again :) Strange one

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by gips, Jul 20, 2020.

1. gips

gips New Member

Bulgaria
    Ok , so i started the season around February. Around June i was in a heavy traffic and was clutch slipping and rearbraking between cars. At some point the clutch decided to simply grab for a moment, trying to stall the bike. I pressed the lever fully and i saved a ridiculous fall :p But when i ended in front of the cars and i tried to switch to neutral the bike would simply switch between 1st and 2nd and with some force i should say ....... I was able to stall it, so i moved it to the side and tried to find neutral, it took some time and at some point i was able to. Ok i said time for new Oil it was time anyway i was riding on very old oil probably ~7k KM and almost all city ride ............. I said ok oil is old so clutch is trying to bind. Changed oil and noticed from time to time i can't find neutral. If i quickly release and pull say 100ms without stalling the bike i can find the neutral. I am thinking its a cylinder that makes a problem, however i am not sure, which one. I think its the slave, tomorrow i will check the fluid level, if its low then its the slave. If someone has had this issue please reply with solutions :) Oh and something else, if i try to switch from neutral to 2nd directly it will always skip one tooth in the mesh. Like clutch does not engage enough, i think its starts already to do the same towards 1st from time to time :)

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Wouldn't worry about the clutch plates yet, save that for later. Address the hydraulics... clutch fluid sees heat cycles as bike ridden then parked... start with a flush and bleed, wouldn't surprise me you have moisturized fluid. Remove clutch lever, check the brass bushing that it's not scored/worn oval/dry. New one with silicone grease (it won't wash out). If pivot bushing is worn, more slop... can steal one from an old lever if you have one, press out old, press in "new" one. Fairly standard regardless of bike make.
    Now how does your clutch feel after that....... may not need to do anything else. IF you do have slave off, pull clutch rod out, grease the ends, reinsert. Check nothing keeping it from binding (like crud build-up), or that the slave is in good shape/not leaking.
    Change your fluid every year and that part of it will be trouble free mostly. But, it wouldn't hurt with this old girl to do slave and master kit rebuild.

3. gips

gips New Member

Bulgaria
    Seems its the master cylinder. I have put a new fluid and it has helped a bit, hopefully it will keep up until the rebuild kit arrives :)