clear coat question

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DeannaLee, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

I am giving allot of thought to scuffing up the red on my 99 and going over it with a nice metallic silver but am unsure of the clear coat. I would like to go with a matte finish but do not know much about it other what I have seen on other bike. Has anyone ever used it before?

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Young lady....

Curious.....what do you mean you are unsure of the clear coat? The clear coat goes over the base color/coat to bring out a deeper shine and to help protect it from the elements/oxidation....but you already know this I am sure. Some people on here have used a flat matte finish sans (some are rattle can jobs I believe as well) clear coat.

Personally, I am not a painting expert (at least so my bike doesn't look like a POS after I am done), so I leave that up to the pros. Do you have a local paint shop that does good work that you trust?

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    as long as you get off the decals and make sure you have it really smooth before you paint it should look okay. I don't think it'll be as good as the factory paint, though. I think Honda does a pretty good job painting. A body shop could take a look for you. I think you could get it done for less than $1000.

4. steven113

steven113 New Member

You can get a dulling agent to add to the clear coat to make it a matte finish if you like. Generaly metalic colors turn out better with a base coat top coat system.

5. DeannaLee

DeannaLee New Member

No question that honda does a good job with their paint but I am looking for a change. I think that I am going to shoot the seat cowl and see how it comes out, that way if I botch it up it will not be that expensive for someone else to fix.

Thanks for the input all.

6. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

My bike's being sprayed this week after a lowside and dedumboing mod. I am getting it painted in black with a matted clear. I don't know why you would want to do a metallic then dull it out - seems kinda counterproductive. You would want a nice couple of layers of clear over the metallic to make it lustrous.

I am also painting my wheels myself in gloss red and will put a couple coats of clear to make them pop and be protected a little from the elements. I'll post pics next weekend when the project is finished.

7. OldPueblo

OldPueblo New Member

I have been out of the paint game for over a year now, but PPG was making a flat, polishable clear in their Concept urethane line that was approved for use with all their Concept base colors. I have never sprayed it personally, but I recommended it to friend who used it over red oxide primer on a rat rod project, and it was bitchin. He sprayed it in his garage, so it had a couple of runs and some dirt in it, and because of the clear he was able to sand and buff just like a gloss product and the finish was great. No sanding scratches, and no shine, and you care for it just like a hi-gloss finish.