Cleaning a gas tank

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Rusty_Spoons, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Rusty_Spoons

Rusty_Spoons New Member

Map
    Hello VFRW, first time poster here with a question.

I was about to use an acid to clean the rust out of my gas tank, so I started by draining the tank. The problem is that I can't for the life of me get that last little bit of gas out. No matter which way I turn it or shake it or jiggle it or do calisthenics with it I can't seem to get that last bit of gas out. If I were just draining the tank I don't think it'd be an issue, but the next step would be using a mild detergent and WATER to get the remaining gas residue. I have a feeling that if I can't get the gas out now, I'm going to have just as much difficulty getting the water out, and then the acid out. Both of those problems sound pretty awful to me. Does anyone have any tricks or tips for getting ALL of a liquid out of a gas tank?

2. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Take a long section of rubber tube large enough to fit over the end of a turkey baster and reach to the bottom corner of the tank, whichever corner you choose. turn tank upside down and rotate tank so that all gas flows to the corner you wish to use. Leave tank tilted a bit to that corner and use the turkey baster to suck the extra fuel, water, acid etc. out through the hose. May not suck anything into the turkey baster itself but you get the idea.

PS.. Don't use the turkey again at Thanksgiving. LOL

3. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    By the way, Congrats on your first post and Welcome to the WORLD. If you feel so inclined don't forget to post up a picture of your ride and it can be a good idea to include what kind and year bike you ride to info in your Profile under Settings. That way if you ask any technical questions, other members will have an idea as to the type of bike.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Like the guys said, get some rubber tubing and hook it up to some sort of vacuum hand pump or turkey baster.

I just did this with an '85 VF1000F fuel tank. After you get rid of all fuel, rinse with hot soapy water (dawn). Rinse a few times.

Then I actually used APPLE CIDER VINEGAR and filled that sucker up with it ... it's not nearly as harsh as the acid kits you buy, but will clean the tank up beautifully.

Drain and rinse several times ... if the tank wasn't overly rusted, you may be able to get away with simply sloshing some engine oil mixed with fuel around in there. If it was badly rusted ... well ... tank liner time. :)

5. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    The way that was recommended to me was to run your car exhaust through it for a few minutes. This will get it hot and evaporate any fuel water left. This is for prepping it prior to welding where all the fuel vapour must be removed. I confess I have never tried it.

6. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    ... a hair dryer on low heat attached to a vacuum hose stuffed into the tank also works. I've done this to get rid of any last bit of moisture in the tank. Even a shopvac ran in reverse works good.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Fur gob's sake, man just throw an old cotton T-shirt in there to soak it up. Easy to fish out later.

8. Rusty_Spoons

Rusty_Spoons New Member

Map
    Thank you all for your answers. Bunch of good ideas.

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Should the Tshirt be any special color? ;)

Seems like just leaving the filler cap open and letting the gas evaporate would work.

Toss in a quart of acetone. Acetone and Gas are miscible. Acetone evaporates fast.

The OP might want to check if there is a special tax on turkey basters in NJ.