Cl55/e55 amg ???

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by buttonhook, May 25, 2010.

1. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Maryville, TN (six miles from the dragon)
    Ok I've been given permission from the other half to buy a 2003-2005 CL55 or E55 AMG. So I ask does anyone on here own one first of all. And does anyone on here know anything special I should watch out for when buying one?

2. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    My dad had a 1999 CLK430 and my mom had a 2002 C230 Kompressor. While neither of these are AMG machines, they can be used to gauge your potential purchase.

First of all, the cars in question (both have the 5.5 liter hand-built AMG V-8:
    E55 AMG - this is the E-class car, so much more common, and lighter weight than the CL55. IIRC, this car has a higher performance level than the CL barge.
    CL55 - This is essentially an S-class coupe. This car is one of the most luxurious sports coupes you can buy. However, all of that luxury means more weight and more trinkets and baubles to break along the way. Plus, they are more expensive to maintain due to their relative rarity.

Now back to why I mentioned my parent's ownership of these two MBZ's: They were both rustbuckets. My dad's CLK had rusty fenders and rusty unibody areas @75k miles. My mom's C230 required all of the brake hardlines to be replaced aft of the center of the car (which required removal of the rear end, fuel tank, and rear subframe to do) at 66k miles. Both cars were meticulously cleaned and stored in a dry heated garage. The reason I mention this is that this is indicative of the quality of MBZ products during the "dark years" of their merger with Chrysler. The very E-class you are possibly interested in was also the very first MBZ car I ever saw that had rust HOLES in it (not just surface rust).

As further info, my dad had a 1988 MBZ 300SE as his previous car, and that vehicle was mint when he sold it with 235,000 miles on it 10 years ago, and it's still going strong today.

3. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

I see your up north do you think that might have had anything to do with it? or do you think it is a MB thing? I live in Tennessee so rust is not a real big problem here also when did MB and chy. break up? and should I look for a later car?I'm not looking to pay $120k for a car so I'm looking used. I'm really more interested in the CL than the E but given the right price it would not break my heart either way. Also I hear the Major problems they had but they all seemed to be caused by the rust did they have any other major problems? Becuase that motor is.............................493hp and 515 torque.......0-60 4.3 sec in a 5000#+ car top speed of 200+mph (unlimited) = intoxicating

BTW the CL is the quicker and faster than the E they are running close to the same price used so it's just a matter of 2 or 4 doors.

1. look for rust all over - CHECK
    2. 2003 had computer issues
    3.???

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Just curious is this going to be your daily driver? 500hp is sweet for tearing it up, but not for MPG. Gas is slowly creeping up again as well. I would assume that that is not your main concern (maybe any concern) with this purchase, but it could be if gas prices skyrocketed again. I just know too many people who bought a large vehicle, or high HP and they never drive it because it is a gas guzzler.

Are you just into a Benz and the look of them? What do you want the car to do for you (look cool, haul the family on trips, groceries, everything)?

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't own either, so I'll pass on comments from what might be better.

Not sure what you're cage is now, but the point is, if you want one of these cars, go for it. Any car, from any manufacturer, could have problems. Conversely, they can all run flawless. Sometimes bad shit happens to a good car for no apparent reason.

Both of these cars are pretty damn fast. Not sure what life is like in TN, but there are few places you will ever be able to use either of these to their full potential. They'll both be a blast to drive.

For what its worth (and it means nothing to me) there's also a certain "respect" that goes along with owning a car like this. I haven't owned MBz, but I have owned Jags and Beemers. Its almost funny how soooo many places that you pull up to will often change their approach towards you. Especially noticeable where valet parking is offered. (Trust me, I'm not the type of person that looks for that stuff; I could really give a damn. I just find it interesting how people change their perception of you based on what you drive).

As for gas mileage - while it may be a good point - I say fuck it. You don't buy one of these things for gas mileage. Sometimes you buy one just because you can, and I say that's reason enough. My boat gets about 2mph at WOT, and I don't give a damn. Its just fun!

Good luck in your search!

6. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Gas use is not really a concern. I want a car that will do it all and look good while doing it. I love sports cars but I dont need a sports car...I have kids so I need a usable rear seat. I also do need to be flashy. So the benz kind of does that for me. I also want to be comfortable and safe while driving. So that a plus. Having said that I dont want a money pit either. regular stuff is ok and expected but not major events all the time.

7. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Right now I'm driving a fully loaded "flagship" supercharged Nissan maxima which takes ONLY 93+ oct. gas @ 17 MPGless if I punch it alot, a 4X4 "Eddie Bauer" ford expedition that gets about 11 MPG city , or V8 all wheel drive "Limited" Ford Explorer that gets about 16 MPG. The benz is listed at 14/19. As far as gas milage goes I own three cars and none of them get better than 20MPG so it's not really a concern. Major breakdowns are because of the repair costs of these special cars. I want to use this as my primary transportation but I only drive about 8,000 miles a year between all of my cars and bikes total so I'm still not looking at alot of use.

the roads around here would be better suited for say a lotus (I'm right next to the dragon US129) I dont think there is any place here or in the US that you could legally use these cars fully. But the roads are pretty good for the most part. Besides If I can get a used CL55 or E55 for the price of a new honda accord why not? I guess thats what I'm asking why not? is there somethings I should really really worry about?

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    I was a MB salesperson for a few years and I can tell you first hand NOT to buy a 2003 MB E class S class or SL. One of the most problomatic years ever for MB. Mostlyl computer related shit however. All 3 were completely new cars and had numerous faults.

9. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Thanks your not the first person I've heard that from about the 03's.........I was looking more at the 04 and 05 models anyway as the interest rate on those is 3.8% vs 7.8% for the 03 so I would go with 04 or 05....how about them? any better? I'm looking at the MB cert. used ones does it really matter?

10. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    I would not buy a used MB unless it was a MB certified car. That means purchasing from a genuine MB dealer. When certified thru MB that car has to be 100% inside and out, free of nics and scratches, new brakes and tires if more than 50% wear if i'm not mistaken (been awhile). Stick with something with as low mileage as possible and unload it before you reach 100k so there's still a little warranty left and get another if your experience was good. Good luck. Or you can get a Lexus and not worry at all.

11. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

I was looing like at this...Mercedes-Benz of Boerne - Certified Pre-Owned Cars - Print Page

or

Feldmann Imports, Inc. - Certified Pre-Owned Cars - Print Page

or

Prestige Motors, Inc. - Certified Pre-Owned Cars - Print Page

12. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Forget about the 2003 period. Is the CL a supercharged V8 or is it the V12? Forget it if it's the V12. Ask yourself why a130,000 car only 4 yrs old is selling for 40 grand. How's that for resale value? I'd go with the 2006 E55 if it was me. I've been to Prestige before, they sell alot of cars.

13. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

cl is v8 not the v12... the more i think about them the more i like the e55....I do like the inside of the cl better though...and I'm glad someone else took the hit on that resell an not me! Also there is prob. not much of a market for them used I would not think

14. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I'm certain that being up north had something to do with the rust issues, but comparing apples to apples, I see Subarus and Hondas that are older with less rust... Also if you look up MBZ rust issues, you'll get a lot of hits in the 2000-2008 model years. I don't think it's merely coincidence.

MBZ divested Chrysler in 2007 IIRC.

As far as other problems - my mom's C230 had a really loud exhaust that sounded like a leak, but nothing ever was found. My dad's CLK430 had the creakiest interior I ever sat in, and went through several crank position sensors.