Check list for a solo 2,000 mile ride

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Anyone that has gone solo for at least this long of a ride chime in. I am sure I will leave something out. Good weather expected threw out BUT fucking hot 97-101F and lodging so no need for camp gear because I have a room as a base camp for the 3 days in Southern Utah. Also good because of VERY HIGH fire alerts. I have always camped when I have gone on a group ride so this will be cool because it is FREE soft and comfortable!
    • Bike serviced and tuned, new brake and clutch fluid, tires check out, chain cleaned and lubed.
    • Riding gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, riding boots) but no riding pants. ;-(
    • Tire patch kit, portable pump, extra cartridges, tool kit plus extra tools (needle nose, standard drivers, handle Allen wrenches and one of those long magnetic ("fuck I dropped the screw down there!" tools) extra 5 & 10 amp fuses, chain lube, cleaning cloth for the helmet visor, zip ties, blow torch, oscillating cutting tool for plastic parts that I hate!;-)
    • Re installed a charger for the phone and the I pod (yes I said I pod 4th gen)
    • Extra undies in case of one of those "Holy Shit, moments in that corner that you think and realize that you really did just do that! Throw aways are crucial! Don't say you don't know or haven't done it!;-)
    • cash for stripper club if there is one or the farmer that is taking your wreak back, credit card, a list that includes the following (in case of an emergency contact, blood type, hobbies, do not resuscitate order, donor card stating that nothing is worth it, but if in need of heavily used part go ahead just don't tell my family, favorite beer, turn ons, turn offs etc.)
    • Laptop ( just on the ride down and back to keep in touch when I get back to the room) and yes I have to do some work while out.
    • Subway punch card
    • And finally I am ordering from amazon a hydration pack that makes slurpee's as a option in the heat that I hope arrives before next Saturday.
    • Yes I know you are saying where is the beer on the list. 21 yr old promise will still stay intact on the ride! but I do :Pray: for beer and :Boob2: in the room!:cigar:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    If it's going to be that hot you should take some rehydration salts with you, only other things I'd add are a cap and a pair of sunnies

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Camera.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Put a few crystals of sea salt in your drinking water. Not much. Just enough that you can taste the slightest hint of salt. That would amount to maybe 5 or so crystals per quart of water. This gives you the electrolytes that is crucial for retaining water in high heat. Same thing that is in sport drinks like Gatorade except that there are not all the other shit like sugar and chemical flavouring. Learned that trick from a Sports Medicine Kinesiologist Once I started doing that, Charlie horses became a thing of the past.

I wear Underarmour Heat Gear hockey tights and long sleeve top beneath my leather suit. This serves two purposes. As long as you are moving, and not necessarily fast, you will stay cool. Matter of fact, come to a stop at a light or something and you begin to sweat a bit The underarmour gets a little damp. Soon as you begin to move, the sudden coolness is glorious Secondly. Have you ever tried to remove a leather suit when you have been sweating? Digging a basement with a spade is easier. Wearing this stuff, the leathers just slip off.

Find yourself a small can of chain lube. I use DuPont Chain Saver. (Reminds me, I need some on my next trip to the US. Seldomly found in Canada for some reason)While we are at it, throw a couple small shop rags in a sandwich bag for cleanups when you are working on the bike. Alcohol wipe will do a reasonable job of cleaning your hands. Matter of fact, you should get yourself a small first aid kit. Find one at your local hiking/backpacking shop.

I have a very small LED flashlight zip tied to a cable on one of the handlebars. I can find it in the dark by feel. Came in handy one time while coming back to BC from California in Emergency Flashlight.JPG the middle of the night on the I-5. In total darkness, you don't need much light to accomplish many emergency adjustments or repairs. I have a photo of it somewhere, but not on this laptop.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    zombie and Bubba Utah like this.
  5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Heat out under garments
    (Cyclegear)
    Gorilla tape— best tape on the planet
    [​IMG]
    For your visor and bike when your out bug collecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. dlp

dlp New Member

United States
    First Aid Kit
    Spare Key (I usually zip tie hide one on the frame somewhere - not under the seat)
    Rain Gear - extra gloves, socks, etc.
    copy of service manual on laptop or flash drive

Bubba Utah likes this.
  7. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    I just finished 2000km yesterday. It was so fun, have a great ride. You should have a lock, I used the Masterlock Street Cuffs to lock the VFR to my friends FJR. If you have a small bottle of eyeglass cleaner it is great for getting the bugs off your visor.
    Please ride safe. We were in Northern Ontario and literally saw 10 cars on the entire route. 10 cars, 3 accidents with at least 1 fatality. It is crazy out there. Just be aware.
    And have Fun, BU.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  8. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Spare key, spare brake and clutch levers (don't take up much room but make it a lot easier to keep going if your bike falls off the sidestand; eBay cheapies are fine).

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Always carry extra brake and clutch—ya never know

RobVG likes this.
  10. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like an excuse to buy some nice levers, and keep the stock plain ones as spare. :pipe:

Riding a 2000 likes this.
  11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly what I did

12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    GOOD ADVICE! I have that after market set that sucked. Thanks.

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I bought a 3.6 liter hydration pack at big 5 sporting goods for $29 and some padded bike shorts for $39. Most expensive skivvies I have ever bought. ;-) just trying to pull the trigger on a sena 10s for the trip. No camera but I really don't think that I need one. I am not a blogger. I returned the other sena. It was $349 and this one is $215. Lets see how much beer I drink tonight and hope I stay off amazon.com! ;-) I really should spend the money on some Olympia riding pants to match my jacket if I was wise!;-)

duccmann likes this.
  14. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes, the Olympia pants are my favorite. Worth the dough, I love them.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  15. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    jdemulling and Bubba Utah like this.
  16. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Well, its getting close. Thanks for all the input. It really is to bad that no one from the list could join me but I am pretty excited to get on the road this Saturday. Not only do I get free lodging in Moab, Ut and Arches National Park at my bosses place I met the owner of Cougar ridge ranch in Torrey, Utah right next to Capitol Reef National park. And in route to Highway 12 one of the most scenic bike routes in the U.S. at my restaurant last week. I told him I was riding down there and he offered to have drinks at his ranch. I looked it up online and the place is amazing. Very Luxurious for southern Utah. I texted him last night and told him I don't drink and ride so I would just stop by. He offered me a room for the night for just the cleaning fee he has to pay staff. $30 buck for a $340 a night accommodations with hot tub, club, riding horses and atv's! Hell ya. I hope that we hit it off drinking so that I can get a future deal for a group ride. My boss is selling his Moab property this year so I need a alt location next year!;-) May my luck not only be in lodging but also In riding. I think I used most of it up in lodging!;-)

Riding a 2000 and jdemulling like this.
  17. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Ride safe, stay cool, and take pics for us. :wheelie:

18. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Doesn't this cloud the visor? I have half a can.

19. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Absolutely not, I use it every single day when I pull in.

20. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    IMG_0656.JPG Here I am in Moab Ut. At Rancho Fandango

hwyix, duccmann, Thumbs and 1 other person like this.