changed spocket, now speedo off

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by cml748, Apr 12, 2004.

1. cml748

cml748 New Member

I changed my rear spocket on my 02 vfr. I put a 2 teeth larger spocket on, it made a quite a difference, but now my speedo seems to be reading high. Any suggestion?

2. fireman3758

fireman3758 New Member

Map
    There's an posting in somewhere in this site regarding the speedometer errors. The speedo was actually reading about 10% higher before you changed the sprocket. Maybe someday Honda will correct this aggravating error.

3. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Changing the "spocket" sounds like you're changing something from Star Trek! ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, not trying to poke fun but you typed spocket instead of sprocket everytime you typed that word. Interesting, eh? ;)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I had same problem after changing my front sprocket down one tooth. i order the speedo recalibrator from here.http://www.jahlmandesign.com/prod01.htm

this one is good cuz it plugs right into the existing harness and is a five minute install. It fixed it. with the front sprocket change and the stock error, I set the speed down 15% and although I haven't tested it, it seems accurate.

There's also a yellow box recalibrator but that is not plug and play; you've got to connect the wires so it's a little more difficult.

5. Jake

Jake New Member

I've got the Yellow Box. You can fab plug ends for plug n play if you don't want to hack your wires. (Skipper did a writeup on st.net if you're interested.)

The Yellow Box (or, for that matter, ANY speedo correction device that intercepts signals from the hall effect sensor and sends an altered signal on to the computer) will fix your speedo, but inso doing it makes you odometer read lower by whatever the stock speedometer error was.

Honda (in their infinte wisdom ::) ) decided to make the odometer correct and the speedo fast, so if you make the the speedo correct, the odometer will accrue miles at a lower rate than you actually are. As far as I know, there is no way around this...

I don't really care because it makes my bike accrue fewer miles and I can just multiply the mileage by the error factor (6.4 %) when I want to figure my mileage. It's kind of annoying though...

HTH,
    Jake