Catalina Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by JTC, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Mark your calendars... December 3rd, 2010. The Catalina Grand Prix is back after 50+ years. More to info follow...

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm guessing a boat race?

3. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
  4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Man that'd be awesome, but scary as hell! I have ridden those roads in a golf cart and they were scary enough at those speeds!

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I wouldn't get too worked up Reg. The mayor "barely" gave it the OK for a one time go. The course is sure to be rerouted, and from what I read, speeds drastically reduced. If it does happen, I might check it out since the Catalina ferry is only 10 mins from my front door. You and Terri are welcome to crash if you decide to go Reg.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'll keep in the back of the old noggin... Let me know if you hear any hype build up...

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    It might be a good idea to do some research on Catalina Island. It is privately owned. The headshed is The Island Company. All decisions about the island and what goes on there are in the hands of The Island Company. Even the State of California has to go through The Island Company.

The Island has a fragile environment they like to keep it that way. If there is a race it will probably be limited to a few of the top dudes probably from AMA District 37.

IMO anybody that sends "Cousin Vinnie" any bucks for anything has got more money than brains.

Cousin Vinnie IMO may be a Nigerian Tshirt sales dude.

Consider that in the years the Grand Prix ran it was a scrambles and for the most part the bikes were ferried on the SS Catalina now about half foundered in the bay at Ensenada, BC.

8. Badbilly

United States

You rode where it was allowed. Even the residents have to get permission to access the whole island.

It's not even close to the IOM. The IOM is on paved roads. Most of the paving on Catalina is at Avalon.

9. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    IT'S a GO! Book your rooms, pack your bags. 800 entrys have been accepted. Unfortunately, yours truly is still on the waiting list. (not enough points over the last 2 seasons) I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that some riders will back out once they figure out that it will be about a G for a 3-4 day weekend, while only racing 1 event. $#!+ you could probably race 4 or 5 other District 37 events for the same price..:cool:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. Badbilly

United States
    I hope this comes off well. Ironic that the entry fees were five bucks back in the day and there were no classes for midget wrestlers on 102 CI Harleys.

11. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Did any of you guys go, either to watch or participate? It sounds like it would have been a blast. It looks like there won't be 2011 Catalina Grand Prix but apparently, a December 2012 race has been confirmed. That's a ways off, I know, but I'm putting a reminder in my calendar now.

No Catalina Grand Prix in 2011, Return for 2012 - Motorcycle USA

12. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, my club and I built and manned the Motocross section. I did not race however, I got to put down about 20 laps on the course over 3 days. I flagged the Red Bull 100' table top most of Saturday. Got to practice my trauma skills a few times over the weekend. The best was this guy who punched through his bicep with the bar end of his bike and bled more than a pint before I could strip off my wife beater and turn it into a tourniquet. Direct pressure and elevation... my a$$.

13. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    You know what they say, "It's not racing until someone is bleeding, impaled by a handlebar and requiring a wife beater tourniquet." I think that's how it goes. Anyway, it still sounds like a good time (for most). What did you think of the course when you had the chance to ride it? Are you planning to race in 2012? I'll be in the crowd cheering you on. I'll bring an extra wife beater, just in case.

14. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    FAST, not a typical District 37 Grand Prix, not technical at all. Just plain fast. More like a European Scrambles with a motocross section than a Grand Prix. I'll definitely be there in 2012, but probably not going to race. Its a long way off, so who knows. Just got through 6 1/2 months of rehab and 4 reconstructive surgeries after breaking my arm/hand/wrist in 19 places, while practicing for the Glen Helen, National, Outdoor Motocross ...:frown:

15. Badbilly

United States
    Hook into Utube for comparisons of the 50's races and current stuff.