carbs

Discussion in 'Europe' started by merseyman1958, Nov 22, 2008.

1. merseyman1958

merseyman1958 New Member

:bootyshake2:hiya everyone,just joined site and heres my first question....lol.i have just bought a 1984 vf400 and it wont tick over.were is the tickover screw on the carbs????it runs fine on choke,but soon as choke is off it cuts out????:redface:

2. supervfr

supervfr Banned

very common problem.

there are a few things you want to check to be sure of. then clean the carbs.

replace the plugs, then trace the wires and check out the coils. research because your newer bike may not use coils. youl wana get a service manual for it. replace the plug wires if possible. after replacing hold one of the 4 plugs up to the outside of the engine and make sure it is sparking well and steady.

pull the tube off of the fuel pump and make sure its pumping. be sure the filter is clean.

just to be sure throw a meter on the rectifier and make sure ur gettin around 14 volts. service manual can show you where it is.

after these simpler checks you want to clean the carbs. there are a few ways to do this. however if its this bad then they need to be taken off and cleaned. this is a painstaking proccess. getting them on and off is a real pain.

iv been doing it for weeks now. i need to get mine a bit cleaner.

iv got a link for ya. but its on my laptop. youll have to wait till i get home and can post it.

see ya in a few.

3. supervfr

supervfr Banned

Here ya go.

just be sure when you take it appart, be very very very very careful not to rip the big round peice of thin rubber. examine it, if it has any imperfections and will not seal thats probably your problem.

and DO NOT SCRATCH THE JETS.

oh, and do not lose the washers, their 40 bucks a peice. and you have to have oem as other washers would change the fuel level. seriously, 2 of them are around 80 bucks. ask me how i know.

http://users.rcn.com/kochc/moto/carb/carb.html

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    probably u have clogged slow jets, common after storage.
    b4 you dive into the carbs try a chemical cleaner first, like SeaFoam or Yamaha brand fuel system cleaner; might work if you're lucky.

5. merseyman1958

merseyman1958 New Member

when you say sea foam.......will redex petrol treatment do the same job?????

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Sea Foam not available in UK ??

Use the Yamaha stuff instead, guvna'.