carb sync fail

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by chuntera, Jul 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chuntera

chuntera New Member

United States
    Map
    I have an old motion-pro carb sync tool, with the mercury capilliaries and 5mm brass adapters. Last week one of the adapters snapped while on the intake port.

I'm thinking I drill it out and heli-coil the threads. But the location is a PITA to drill and unsure how well a tiny 5mm heli-coil will work.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

2. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

easy out first. it shouldnt be that difficult to remove. if it wont come easily, THEN get aggressive.

3. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Hi
    How did you manage to snap one off ? I only do them up finger tight as they should have a little O ring to seal it. Any way ,as Bob said an easy out should sort it as is has a hole and shouldnt be that tight. Also try a bit of Plus Gas or WD40. Don't snap the easy out !

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    another vote for EZ-out.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Use a dremel to cut a shallow slot then use a small screwdriver to back it out.

Or, if you can find exactly the best screw driver with the smallest point size and a taper near the edge, you might be able to wedge it in and get some turning traction.

Or a hand-held drill bit might grab since, once the nut has gone, there's not much resistance to turning the screw.

Don't want to be bothered now and make it a winter project?? Fill the hole in the adaptor with JB Weld and ride on........

6. Dannyhoo

Dannyhoo New Member

Map
    +1 on the easy out or you can try a left handed drill bit which has worked for me in the past with exhaust manifold studs