Carb parts - what is this?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Yn3ss, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Yn3ss

Yn3ss New Member

Canada
    Hi everyone,

Long story short, my 1997 VFR has an issue where it's extremely hard to start cold (like cranking for 20 mins before it sputters to barely life). Choke has no effect, or makes it worse, I can't tell.

Once it's warm, it runs like a champ and starts no problem. It does idle a bit high though.

I've pulled the carb and am in the process of cleaning and rebuilding, but I've got a really dumb question... what is this? It doesn't appear to be removable, and I can't find anything about it in the service manual. I can't blow anything through it, but the casting looks like it has a channel going to it.

I'm no mechanic, but I can turn a wrench. Any suggestions on other things to look out for while I'm in here?

Attached Files:

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    It does - its a balance tube leading to the other side of the carb. Yes it has a hole in it. No its not removable.

Remove a single wire from a wire brush - that's about the correct size. Use that to clean the hole. They do occasionally get clogged.

REMOVE the diaphragm from the other side before cleaning or you risk poking a hole in it.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    cleaning that (enrichener circuit) tube will usually fix cold starting problems. slip a plastic or rubber tube over it and suck (or blow) to see if you have flow.

if the tube is clogged you'll first need to clear the "usual'" blockage about 10mm in, then use a steel wire .010" to peck, peck, peck until the wire can be inserted to a full depth of about 35mm when the tube is fully clear.

if you can't clear all 4, no worries as having just 2 or 3 working will get the bike running until it's warm enough not to need choke.

msg-3647-0-60731700-1334457355.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    pete, as u may know, i'm more than a little familiar with those carbs, and i don't know what diaphragm you're referring to and suspect an error in your post.

the enrichment tube does not lead anywhere near the slide diaphragm.

5. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    lol - yep error on the last..