Can't open stator cover.Any ideas?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Rubo, May 16, 2012.

1. Rubo

Rubo New Member

No joke. Its 1998 model and looks like it was never opened.Took the bolts out but only two little knobs to hold one finger and no matter how hard I try I can't nudge at all.
    I am little frustrated.
    Now I am thinking hammering perhaps chisel to pry open but almost certainty of scarring the aluminum discourages that idea.
    I am at loss.
    How did you open yours?
    Thank you

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Be patient someone will chimp in sooooon

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Hit it from the side with a rubber mallet. When you are ready to re-install the cover the job will be much easier if you buy a few extra bolts and remove the heads on them and then thread them on opposite sides to use as guides for the cover. Once the cover is on and lined up straight you simply install your regular bolts and remove the temporary headless guide bolts. I assume you bought a new gasket?

Rollin

4. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Thanks or replying
    I'll try the rubber mallet today.I bought black permatex gasket sealer (up to 500f).Others here used it with success.
    Thanks for the install tip.I like that idea.

5. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Thanks Rollin
    Mallet worked! Thank you.
    Installed R1 Yamaha Mosfet R/R and new Rick's Stator.I hope Ricks stator holds up.I personally thought the insulation of wires were mediocre on Ricks Stator.Compare to OEM is not even close.
    Made home made cereal box gasket for stator cover.Rubbed Belair water resistant grease on both sides of paper and so far no oil leak....hope it holds up.
    I am not cheap but paying 20 dollars plus shipping for piece of paper gasket is overkill.
    Anyway if it hold up I will write steps to make your own gaskets.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Seems like extreme over-kill for a basically simple job.

You need to know the locations of the 2 dowel pins before you start tapping so you can avoid them.

7. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Update

Finally opened the cover and replaced the stator.
    Made cereal box gasket and applied thin coat of Bel-ray water resistant grease on both side and tighten things up.
    I was annoyed that Honda wanted $20 for a paper gasket and decided to give this a try since old timers have been doing this home made versions for dacades.
    After 50 miles so far no leaks.
    After seeing the quality of OEM stator side by side with Ricks, I was really displeased how mediocre insulation was on Ricks.I paid Ricks $130 plus shipping and found $153 OEM new online.Wished I bought the OEM.
    I simply lost my respects for Ricks products after his Regulator failed as well.I know wiremybike sellls Ricks stator and regulator however my advise to you based on my experience replace R1 Yamaha (04-present)regulator with OEM stator and you will be worry free for thousands of miles.