Can you find this info in your 5th gen owners manual? (I don't have one to look in)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by ccrunner, Dec 14, 2018.

1. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    bike tow.png This is an odd one, and I can't find it online anywhere-- my last hope is that the owners manual mentions it...

Can I 'flat tow' a fifth gen bike? That is to say, can I strap the front wheel up on a car hitch, and tow the bike down the highway on it's rear wheel?

Lots of opinions on this online, but the answer seems to be very model/make/year specific on whether it's ok to do.. What I'm looking for here is what Honda published about their own bike (in the 1998-2001 owners manual in this case)..

I know it's not ideal, just wondering if Honda states that it can/cannot be done..

Thanks guys-

--ccrunner

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That looks like a horrible idea. But, if you're in a pinch......

duccmann likes this.
  3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    If you take the chain off, no issues. Otherwise it's a bad idea. If you check the oil diagram schematic you'll notice
    that the gears in the transmission are pressure fed oil. If the engine isn't running there isn't any oil pressure and
    gears and shafts in the transmission get no lube. That will spell disaster at some point.

A motorcycle that has a separate transmission like a Harley, has no issues because the transmission runs in an oil
    bath just like most manual transmissions.

FWIW many years and models of BMW also run a separate gearbox, so the gearbox isn't pressure fed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    marriedman and bigbadbass like this.
  4. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    This is what I need to confirm, is that ..."The gears in the transmission are pressure fed oil." If this is true as you state, I'm in a bit of trouble with my plan.. (do you have a link to a VFr800 oil flow schematic?- I can't seem to find one in my brief Google search..)

Very, very unorthodox for me as I've put my VFR800 motor into a small car.. I've turned the motor sideways and now it has a driveshaft to a rear wheel drive configuration.. I'd like to flat-tow the VFR-powered car without disconnecting the driveshaft, but it sounds like the bike motor needs to be running to circulate it's own tranny oil(?) instead of relying on a motion induced splash/oil bath

--ccrunner

mello dude likes this.
  5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    It's pretty straightforward actually. If you physically look an an engine that shares oil with the engine and transmission, and the oil sump is below the level of the gearbox then you have a pressure fed transmission. You do not want that transmission turning without the oil pump operating, or some kind of pumped oil pressure to the gearbox.

I think there's a OEM Service Manual somewhere on the forum.

Yeah, flat towing that car will fubar the transmission. I mean, across the street or a mile or two, you'll be okay I would imagine. But I sure wouldn't do more than that.

6. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    While we're thinking in an unorthodox manner, the next question that occurs to me is: could you start the bike's (Berkeley's) engine and leave it idling while you tow it?

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Sure, not an issue. At least not for the transmission. A long term idle may not be the best for the bike's overall health. IMO anyway.

8. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    fj12ryder nailed it, remove the chain, remove all risk

U haul also rents dedicated, tiny, motorcycle designated trailer rigs at very reasonable rates

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Just for clarity's sake: The original poster on this thread is putting a 5th Gen VFR engine into a small car, he won't be needing a motorcycle trailer.

10. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    Quoted from the original post....

"Can I 'flat tow' a fifth gen bike? That is to say, can I strap the front wheel up on a car hitch, and tow the bike down the highway on it's rear wheel?"

Question was laid out clearly, he's transporting bike using car via highway.

11. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    No he is not. He's working on a car.

Go back and read the 4th post in this thread. The 4th post in this thread is where the original poster says, "I've put my VFR800 motor into a small car.. I've turned the motor sideways and now it has a driveshaft to a rear wheel drive configuration.. I'd like to flat-tow the VFR-powered car".

Here's a link to the forum where he's putting the VFR800 engine into a small car: https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    in which case he's posting conflicting info between the OP (where he asks..."Can I 'flat tow' a fifth gen bike? That is to say, can I strap the front wheel up on a car hitch, and tow the bike down the highway" .... and 4th post where he reveals its actually in a car.

Sorry, I'll bugger off now.

13. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    OP here.. my fault @bigbadass for the confusion.. I did in fact contradict myself.. I've been coming here for years to get help from the VFR community as I transplant the VFR800 platform into small cars (I'm building my 2nd and 3rd VFR 'cars' now), and it's usually easier to come on this motorcycle forum and present a question from the motorcycle point of view, as it's cumbersome to explain what I'm truly intending, as most people don't have any experience or point of reference when it comes a BEC (Bike Engine Car)...

Sorry for the confusion, and as always, thanks guys for the insight on the original question :)

--ccrunner

14. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    no worries at all, cc.

15. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    Ah, yes...but have you managed to get a reverse gear happening in any of them?

Do that, and I reckon you're on a winner...

Mikey30006 likes this.