CA lane splitting officially legal

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by 01ragtop, Aug 19, 2016.

1. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
  2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, I posted this in chat and the Harley fined thread. All I can say is that the cagers can finally "suck it!". Lane splitting is not a crime!

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    WA or OR next? Maybe.. one can hope. The effort's been made before.

4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't know if its the law here-but no one gets a ticket usually here for it.

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    It's actually illegal in all other states, as they have laws that specifically forbid it. Maybe they just don't care there.

I'm hoping this will be the start of a cascade of other states legalizing it. California's got so many decades of this being allowed and the positive statistics to back it up. I don't see any other state having any leg to stand on now. Tennessee almost passed it. I'm hoping that this will help push it through.

6. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Has there been any information put out on moto accidents due to lane splitting...accidents caused by cagers?

7. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Not exactly, UC Berkeley released a study last year. Probably was very instrumental getting this bill passed.

http://www.ots.ca.gov/pdf/Publications/Motorcycle-Lane-Splitting-and-Safety-2015.pdf

It doesn't cover stuff like the rate of a cager causing an accident. Or the chance of being involved in a lane splitting accident. what it does do is compare injuries from lane splitting vs other forms of motorcycle accidents. sunshine pirates on weekends putting their bike into a ditch for example.

There's a lot of stuff in there, but basically the take away is it found lane splitting is (relatively) safe if done at reasonable speeds. Those doing so are more likely not to be drunk and be wearing better helmets (again, sunshine pirates vs commuters) And it's no more dangerous than operating a motorcycle in general.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I don't have any studies to point ya to, but I would have to believe the insurance lobby and the nanny state of CA would have nixed it a long time ago if there was any data showing it was more dangerous and led to more accidents. California does have the largest amount of registered private and commercial motorcycles in the nation, so I'm sure it would have been pretty obvious.

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I cringe every morning watching the traffic reports around the Bay area when there is an accident involving a motorcycle.

10. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Having spent much time the Bay Area, (as with much of metro CA), many of the motorcyclists are the ones causing the unsafe circumstances and getting themselves in the situation in the first place. It drives me bonkers when motorcyclists do not look at other motorcyclists as the one who might have caused the accident in the first place.

That said, I have mixed feelings about this law. Now there is something to hold us to. I would have to say I prefer the "grey" area.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    There were a lot of restrictions on lane splitting -I bet the cops write more tickets!

12. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Ghost: I agree with you 100%, a lot of riders abuse the law, pissing off cagers. I do it mostly at intersections (red lights) to get out ahead of the cagers. In the mornings the risk is higher because everyone is trying to get to work.