Buying a used VFR

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Adamvfr7, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Adamvfr7

Adamvfr7 New Member

Israel
    Hey mates, new here.
    In the past weak im getting my hands on a vfr 800
    Went to see, test ride and hear a couple of them to have a Comparison between whats avaliable on the market.

Is ther anything special I need to check?
    What's a "high" km/miles a vfr could have?
    Whats the common problems ?

Just put my eyes on a dark red vfr with 93k km
    Sounds great , no leaks or strange sounds.
    A little bit of color harm and a bent on the tank(not from falling)
    There a pop like sound when I pop the throttle from idle
    Like a silent back fire but its not coming from the exhaust if anyone know this issue
    It has 2 akrp exhaust
    No mods

Ill be happy for any information
    Thanks, Adam.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Adam, welcome to VFRWorld! Your questions are ones that have been asked by others in the past. It may help to know if you are looking to buy a 500cc, 700cc, 750cc, 800cc, 1000cc (if you can find one), or a 1200cc VFR. For the most part overall Honda made the VFR models to be a sporty bike that you could ride on a track day and on holiday. The 1987- 1997 750's, and the 1989-2001 800's have gear driven cams, which lower some of the maintenence needs and add to the sound of the engine. After 2001 the 800cc models have V-tec engines, that somehow help with low end power and fuel consumption by changing the number of valves that are in use at low and high RPM ranges. More recent 800cc models have less "track bike" look and feel, and are designed for more cross over to some off road or trail conditions. The 1200cc VFR's are in another class themselves with much more power and tech.
    You may want to take a look at this thread for some of the answers to your questions, as it covers the same ground. http://vfrworld.com/threads/best-year-vfr.10226/

3. Adamvfr7

Adamvfr7 New Member

Israel
    Thanks for your answer!
    Ill read more of the threads around here.
    Although is the maintenance of the engine after 2001 is extra common?

4. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    The possability of the cam chain adjuster, or the cam chain replacement are more likely only because the geared version is maintence free.

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Adam

Welcome to the MadHouse.

Please make yourself at home - a browse through the various sub forums should give you an idea about the relative practicality of what the various VFRs. Likewise the Mechanics Garage should give you an idea of what problems arise.

Obviously parts availability for the 750 and earlier models is getting to be an issue even in markets where there are loads of them. I suspect getting parts for bikes much over 10 years old could be quite a challenge in Israel. So perhaps be wary of bikes over 20 years old. As for mileage - well maintained bikes can do huge distances. My 2006 is well into its second trip around the odometer. So 90,000km on a VFR is not an issue provided oil and filter changes were completed.

The likes of Randy and Anne Marie have shown these bikes are good for really long haul trips across Canada and North America.

Did you note down the model(s) specs of the VFRs you tested? If so post up and we can offer more focused input.

There should be a VIN plate on the bike clearly stating the model variant - look for something like RC45 or RC46. The different models have different pluses and minuses.

The biggest thing to be aware of is the electrical gremlins have only really been eliminated with the introduction of 7th (1200cc) and 8th (800cc) Gen models.

SkiMad

Adamvfr7 likes this.
  6. Adamvfr7

Adamvfr7 New Member

Israel
    Thanks you for the info
    Ill check tha sub model of the bike when I have some free time.
    And what are the pre-signs of electrical gremiln on the vfr?
    About the replacement parts, I think most of them ill get online any way(cheaper and probably better condition if used) , do you know a store/website with a variety of parts for a vfr?

And ill be glad to know the differences between rc45 and 46 anyway juat for the extra knowledge :)
    Thanks, Adam.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    I'd suspect that if he sees a bike saying RC45 then:
    1. It's extremely unlikely to have covered vast mileage.
    2. I'd suspect that it WILL BE $30,000+
    3. The only minus to this model is having to pay for it - the same applies also to the RC30.