Buying a used bike. What are your bad experiences?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JIMLARCH, Jun 8, 2016.

1. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have just returned from looking at a 1998 CBR900 Honda with only 5800 kilometers (4000 miles) on it. The bike was being sold by the original owner. We arranged to meet outside a Star bucks. I have wanted a CBR900 for sometime but I want one in immaculate condition. So when I saw the add describing it as "out of crate 'new' condition" I thought it was worth a serious look.

So the owner arrives. Right off the bat I can see the bike hasn't been cleaned as it's dirty and oxidized and the aluminum parts are very dull. I examined the rear wheel. It is covered in a layer of mud,, but the mud is so hard it's obviously been on for years. He advises it's been in storage most of its life. So he obviously stored it dirty. Bike has numerous nicks and scratches.. IT looks like what it is, an average condition 18 year old Honda with low mileage. A bike he's asking $4500 for.

I asked him why he hadn't bothered to clean it. He said he was too busy. There's no need to go into our discussion but needless to say I didn't buy the bike. Especially after he told me that I wouldn't find one in better condition for that year that had been ridden.

The last time I looked at a really low mileage bike it was also described as immaculate and also turned out to be unclean and in average condition.

Why are there so many idiots out there selling low mileage bikes believing just because the mileage is low it is therefore in ", immaculate"/"as new" condition.

2. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Keep looking, Jim.

I recently bought an 01 929, that had less than 3000 miles on it. I hate to ride it. It belongs in a museum. Paid $4500 USD.

I won't buy anything from a 20something. Find an old guy with too many bikes.

Those are great old bikes. The problem with sport bikes, is the slugs that desicrate those once proud, motorcycles. They get beaten on, modded badly, and neglected.

I got lucky when I bought the 01 Interceptor. It came from a 69 year old. It was neglected, but stored in side, and in very respectable shape.

Bad experience. I once bought an 07 CBR600RR from a 20something, 6 hours away. He didn't have a plate on it. No insurance. He never paid sales tax. Didn't have the title. He was ordered by a judge to sell it or go to jail. True story.

3. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    In Alberta right now, there are a few good deals to be had, due to the poor economy. Especially in Calgary, it seems. Decided against buying a 2003 VFR800 w/39000k.m.'s on it, for $2500.00 obo.
    I agree about the immaculate condition thing, as well. Not just the youngins' though. Went to look at a Honda Hawk GT. Excellent condition. Had higher mileage. Guy was asking like $4000.00, and it was bagged. He said it was a museum piece! This guy honestly believed he had something rare and special, in super good shape! Hard to tell until I go and see, I guess.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Used can mean several things. Used by a 20 YO is used and abused usually. Anecdotal for sure on this one. I bought a "used" Yamaha SR500 from a dealer in Houston,Texas that was their demo bike. It came with the full warrantee much of which is and still is written in nannoprint. The bike was stock with as I recall aboot 60 miles on it. Back then 500 thumpers were not selling well in the States.

Got the bike OOD for 1400.00 USD.. In 1978 we were not yet on the peso system..

Still got the bike..

5. blackvfr

blackvfr New Member

United States
    When it comes to used purchases I'd rather buy something with some miles on it, that has been taken care of meaning (clean, service history & good miles per the year.) The owner should have liked (made time) to enjoy the product that he or she bought. I want nothing that's old and has low miles, don't have time for knick knack things that are prone to dry rot. I don't get to caught up in low miles and am not going to pay a premium for it. Fortunately I have been lucky with buying used car's and my first motorcycle over the years. Bought a clean 2006 VFR800 with 35,000 miles well taken care of ( owner decided he wanted to go faster and sportier, some new fancy 1000c Kawasaki ) VFR came with GIVI hard bags and a extra Corbin seat all a manuals fresh oil and tools. $3800 back in September 2015. I could not be more please with this purchase I get compliments on her often. Even if I win the lotto I would not buy any auto or cycle brand new, to me the extra cost doesn't make sense so I put those saving into travel. To each his own, be safe out there. Oh no bad experience's knock on wood.

6. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used VFR off someone who has looked after it, even with high mileage. So I agree with you there. I'm finding that the original owners of bikes with really low mileage tend to be people that are not serious bike riders which means that they know little about bike maintenance and couldn't be bothered to do it. I mean, what serious bike rider would store a bike for an extended period of time, without cleaning mud off it.

7. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    '84 700 Interceptor. Looked underneath and didn't see any problems. Went to change the oil and the headers were crushed 50%. Two months looking on ebay, ended up with one for $120.

Think the frame might be bent- air box lid doesn't fit. I think he pulled the carbs up on one side to get it to fit. Cleaned the carbs once, wasn't going to try it again. Had them rebuilt-$300. Needed a valve cover gasket. But the paint was bitchin'. I had to have it. Kinda like a teenage girl buying a car...