Buying a 2002, what to look for....

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by jimbo jones, Jan 15, 2021.

1. jimbo jones

jimbo jones New Member

Australia
    Hi guys, i'm new to the world of the VFR having had ninja's and lately a KTM duke 390. I'm looking at a 2002 no ABS (I think). I'm trying to get some idea of the things that regularly go wrong with this year model or traps I might fall into buying privately. cheers! I'm in Australia by the way.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Jimbo and welcome to the Madhouse:Welcome:

With the 5th and 6th gens the weakspot is the charging system - most will see the carp Regulator Rectifier failing and potentially killing stator, battery, and even elements of the loom in the process. It is not an IF, more a questions of WHEN, these bikes suffer electrical gremlins. Search for the drill...

The fix is known - replace with a decent Shindengen RR. In the interim fitting a simple voltmeter - which you can get on e bay for a few bucks - will at least allow you to quickly get a fix on what is normal and then if you spot the volts drop, or rise alarmingly.

Honda went some way to fixing things with the 2006 onwards models which at least came with an upgraded loom - but they stuck with the same RR so the problems continued and were only actually sorted with the 7th and 8th gen VFRs.

The Vtec engagement threshold was revised on 2006 onwards models to make the transition into VTEC smoother making them a lot easier for new riders. They still have the maddeningly expensive valve check frequency - and if you are not expecting to bounce off the rev limiter every day whilst riding then certainly many owners have found it OK to skip at least every other valve check.

With a full tank of fuel these bikes are quite top heavy and especially for smaller/lighter riders can quickly go beyond the point of no return ending up on their side. Hence quality R&G frame sliders are worth considering.

Approaching 20 years on, any 2002 model is probably going to warrant careful inspection. If you are unsure with things mechaniical find someone who is. Check for worn out steering bearings out of date tyres, and decaying brake and fuel lines.

Don't rush to buy the first one you see inside your budget - there are plenty of VFRs out there. Have fun shopping

SkiMad

3. jimbo jones

jimbo jones New Member

Australia
    Great response thanks SkiMad!

My plan is to also take it to a mechanic for a good check over before buying and the guy has just had a major service completed with receipts so I'm going to call the shop where he had that done and ask them if there are any issues with it. I'll check to see if maybe he has the electric mod already, here's hoping. Is the RR replacement a big job, if I provide the part how many hours labour would it be ballpark?

Also agree on the top heaviness of them. I'm on the bigger side and pretty experienced.