Brighter taillights

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by usaf_VFR, Nov 10, 2003.

1. usaf_VFR

usaf_VFR New Member

Map
    Does anyone know where to get brighter taillight bulbs? E.g., halogen, LED, etc.

2. RedRocket800

RedRocket800 New Member

the normal bulbs are 1157.
    I have read that if you sub 1127 bulbs they are about 25% brighter.
    I have added Hyperlites to my bike. They are 16 LED's that come on and flash when I brake.

3. GadgetDan

GadgetDan New Member

Map
    There are generic bulbs that will give you a brighter brake light while keeping the same tail light.  I believe it is the 3157 (or maybe 2157, 3357, or 2357) to replace an 1157.  Either way, just find your stock bulb at Pep Boys and note the wattage listed on the package (like 3w/18w).  Look at all the other packages until you find what you want, like 3w/27w for instance. Get spares. They don't last quite as long. I usually burn one or two out every year (at about 15,000 mostly wet miles per year).

I'm fudging the wattage numbers above because I can't remember exactly what they were, but you get the idea of what you need to do.  I replaced all the dual-filiment bulbs on my Connie this way.  The difference in the brake lights during the day is huge. You won't mistake a brake light for a running light, not even in direct sunlight.

BTW, I also highly recommend Hyperlights.  I have a set on my Concours and love them enough that they will be added to every bike I own in the future, even at $50+/set.

4. usaf_VFR

usaf_VFR New Member

Map
    Here's some more info after a bit of searching ...

First, taillight & turn signal bulbs on the '03 are not an 1157 bulb.  The bulbs have the glass blade type base ... I haven't found anyone who can tell me what the bulb # is, and brighter aftermarket halogen bulbs (e.g., PIAA, etc) are apparently not available yet (per a couple of places that sell aftermarket bulbs).  I haven't looked for higher wattage incandescent replacements per GadgetDan's post.

I installed the turn signal conversion kit sold by The Electrical Connection ... http://www.electricalconnection.com/other lighting/tsk-int.htm ; part # is 01316.   The kit provides a cluster of 4 red LEDs to be installed inside each turn signal housing; they tie into the brake and turn signal wires.  They work as "running lights" by causing your amber turn signal housings to appear red, and intensify to function as additional brake lights when you brake.  They essentially double the visible area of your running/brake lights.  When using the turn signal in either running or braking mode, the LEDS alternate on/off when the turn signal flashes on/off.   Everything you need for installation is provided.  You have to drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the turn signal housing to mount the LEDs ... I was able to do it cleanly just inboard of the turn signal bulb mount.  Installation was fairly easy (and I know VERY little about electrical stuff); price was $39.95, I think.

Next up ... Hyperlites.  Anything to be a bit more visible :).

5. vfr-xander

vfr-xander Guest

thanks usaf!

that is seriously cool information. thanks for sharing. i bought a set immediately. can't wait to get them installed, i'll do just about anything to get better visibility. and this sounds like it won't tax the vfr voltage regulator too much.

peace.

6. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Best replacement bulb is Wagner 7443; plenty bright and 1/3 the cost of the Honda part.  3157 will fit but will deform the taillight lens due to heat; You need the smaller glass capsule type that the 7443 is.  This bulb (need 2) also works in the '98-'01 models.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I tapped into the unused filament of my rear turnsignals and wired them into the front turnsignal's running light circuit.

So, I have 4 running lights out back, the brake lights function normally, as before, and when I signal, the running light on that side cuts out to allow the signal to flash, just as the fronts do in the stock configuration.

It really makes the rear of the bike stand out. The "light signature" is much more visually impressive, during the day, but most especially at night.

AND, it was cheap!