Brand new VFR, and new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Molsan, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Just bought my first bike, the 05 VFR 800.
    Nothing else felt right after one of these.

So, just going through the break in period(the manual does not say much so currently looking through the forums to find more information)

Anyways thought i would register and say hi since you made the effort to put a hi, i'm new forum. So "Hi, I'm new"

From Calgary Alberta, Canada.

2. jrj

jrj New Member

Hi, im also from calgary and new to the forum, after a long research process I have decided on the vfr which i pick up in a couple weeks '06 white abs with matching bags. (trading my cruiser) how do you like the bike? what colour? where did you pick it up at?

3. jackinthebox4

jackinthebox4 New Member

Map
    Hello, from Southern New Jersey

I ordered a 2007 on Tuesday. Red, white and blue.
    Delivery in November.

sounds like HOT GRIPS time.

cannot wait. :eek:

4. jrj

jrj New Member

I did consider the new paint scheme that is offered on the '07 but was convinced buy the $$$ diff on picking up the 06 in pearl white, the price difference for me made up most of my loss on my trade. Good on you though that new/retro paint is great and it will stand out.

5. LTFury

LTFury New Member

New to the forum and from Calgary as well

I got my new VFR about a month ago, and you're right. Not much else compares after riding it. All us Calgary guys should hook up one of these days and wear down the tires.
    As for the forum, I should at least be socialable and say hi too all as well from Calgary.:confused:

6. cohiba_chief

cohiba_chief New Member

OK, I guess I should put my two cents worth here!

Calgary guy here. I agree with LTFury. We should try to organize a chinook-blitz this winter. and take pictures! There are actually quite a few of us VFR owners in the Calgary area! I've seen a dozen or more VFR's in the Bragg Creek parking lot this past summer. Why the anonimity syndrome?

Let's hear from all you Calgary guys.

7. jrj

jrj New Member

Yes that's a great idea to get together on a nice chinook day. The winter just kills me, not being able to go out for a quick blast to bragg creek. I did however take a quick 10km ride a few days ago (what a tease) I actually had intended to take my gas can to the gas station so that I could top up the tank for the winter but of course that let to turning over the engine followed buy a quick "try on the new helmet" and next thing you know im down the road with that familliar grin on my face (a bit cold but very happy).

8. daffy67

daffy67 New Member

Map
    Welcome!!
    Got my '05 new back in July.
    When breaking in motor, choose your own way but avoid 2 things:
    1. Never stay at the same revs for long, always vary the amount or you will glaze the bores and get poor ring seal.
    2. Don't lug or load the motor at low revs, same result as above.

In short when i run-in my motor i:
    1. Went as high as 8000rpm for short cycles ie. from a standstill or in gear. Then i would let the engine do all the braking back down again.

I did this in short cycles on quiet industrial streets.

2. Plenty of engine braking after acceleration, varying the revs up and down constantly, 1-5000rpm with the above 8k rpm short cycles.

I did this for the first 200klm, a lot of the ring bedding in will take place. I would ride for 20-30 mins then let the bike cool for 10-15mins and do another session.

After that i rode to work normally which is very stop-start anyway so revs were always varied, and it's a 30min trip to work then bike is parked for day.

Result:
    I average 42-44 mpg commuting and 46-48mpg highway riding. No oil usage, bike has just over 5000klms since new and motor feels very strong and torquey.

To each their own for running in the motor, i never believed in babying them but neither do you redline them when running them in.:smile:

9. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    To the Calgary riders.
    Finished a trip to Sturgis, and did Highway to the sun, Looking for some riding through BC, so if your up for it.
    I_am_canadian2(at)hotmail.com
    A ways off as the snow has started to fly. Be nice to get a southern Alberta group together.

For riding, a normally do not Rev the engine, I often shift to early if anything.
    I use a ton of engine breaking, not sure why just do.
    I practically cry when it lugs.

I also do not ride to work; it's about a 6 min drive so I feel it would be too hard on it for such a short stint.

I have not tested the MPG, all I know is W/ soft bags on and a load of gear I go about the same distance as a gold wing (He can get about another 1/2 hour of riding on the highway) all with a much smaller tank. (It's fun to harass him about storing more due to the size of the soft bags).

heard they did away with the bike only parking in Bragg..But i always see a string of vfr's.