Brake light & Fork problem

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by davcon, Jul 19, 2003.

1. davcon

davcon New Member

Hello Members,
    New to the forum and have some questions. Does anyone have these problems? I need to replace my fork seals every other year. The seals are fine for about a year. Its always garaged. Also, lately I'm replacing the rear tailight every say fourth ride. All is fine when shutting it off and parking for the night. Go to start in the morning and the tailight idiot light just stays on. Sure enough, the bulb is burnt out again. Any assistance would be great.
    Thank you
    1984 750 Interceptor

2. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Pretty sure you have minor scoring or sand pits in the fork legs. Next time it is apart, polish them with single ply of nylon cut from old pantyhose; any surface irregularities should snag the nylon. No real fix apart from new forks; should be an inexpensive purchase on eBay if you are patient. On the taillight, check while cranking to make sure the cranking voltage is not shorting over into the taillight circuit-saw that on a Nighthawk once. Make sure the rubber mounts for the light are in good condition or vibration could be the cause. Use European spec bulbs (silver base) for replacements.