Bought stunning (looking) 1990 VFR 750F RC36 but i need to know some stuff

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by berbalov, Sep 26, 2018.

1. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    So i bought this one for a very good price at a well reviewed dealership after looking for it for a very long time. It looks great and even under the bodywork as well. It has 33.000 miles on the clock with one owner since 1997. There is no history of the maintanace but i would say there is good taken care off.

So i started with changing the battery, oil and oil filter, tomorrow i will do the cooling liquid. Winter is coming so in the spring season i will let the shop do the hydraulics of the brakes and clutch.

What else can i do/check for now? Everything seems to work very well and there are no further issues.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Samuel and Blackslide like this.
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Get out a ride
    She’s gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

berbalov likes this.
  3. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks mate

duccmann likes this.
  4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    If you can do the oil & water the brakes & clutch only require a 8mm spanner, hose with one way valve, some DOT 4 fluid & a jar - lol
    the clutch is the easiest hose in the world to bleed.

5. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    thanks for letting me know, man. I knew from experience of my mountainbike that hydraulic brakes were something difficult. I wil cosioder now doing myself,thanks a lot.

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Just for grins, I'd do an inspection of the wiring harness, take particular note with the Stator/RR connections, although more common on later generations, the issue has shown up on the older generations too. The issue is these connectors can get corroded and causes over heating and melting of the connectors themselves. I wouldn't panic but just a safety precaution and can save you from frustration while on the road. Using some sort of corrosion prohibitive on the metal connections is a good way of keeping trouble at bay. BTW, bike looks good!

Oh, yeah, don't let anyone talk you out of that 8 spoke rear wheel, these are a hard to find and a highly sought after item!

7. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    allright! Thanks a lot.

8. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Nice looking bike - and welcome to the MadHouse.

Whilst a 28 year old motorbike with that low KMs and one owner for the last few years may be quite a find it also raises questions.

Basically it suggests the bike has been parked up in a garage for extended periods. If you are lucky the dealership will have given the bike a thorough check over before selling it to you.

If not I would at the very least open the filler cap and with a decent torch check the fuel tank for any signs of rust - you don't want the carbs filled with ancient fuel or worse still rust.

I would also consider checking the date codes printed on the side of the tyres to work out just how old they are. If they are more than 10 years old, even if there seems plenty of tread depth, there is a risk that they could delaminate and break-up with little or no warning. Also if the bike has been parked in the same spot for a really long time you may find the tyres have developed serious flat spots which may never go away completely.

The colour scheme suggests it could be a US market bike. If so it was probably imported by a US serviceman stationed at one of the US military bases in Europe who did not bother to bring it back stateside afterwards. In reality I am not sure there were major differences between European and a North American models except the electrics as the indicator lighting set up had to meet different rules.

If all looks good and you still have some good weather - get out and ride the bike!

SkiMad

9. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    I've got one excactly like yours, brought to Finland from Germany several years ago.

All 60000km + on the meter, and going strong.

If it feels legit, ride the whack out of it :)

If clutch fluid and brake fluid look dark, swap those. Look at brake pads and check the brake discs. I think mine state they must be swapped when they reach 4mm thickness.

+1 on checking the tires

Rolling on the highway

10. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Well, not quite as mint as yours I'll admit...

The fairings are very brittle, so be extra careful with em. Mine are on the brink of destruction allready and taking them off for even an oilchange is a chore.

Also I hate the molestered and also brittle solo cover that I have, with light gray "leather", instead of the black "leather" that it should be.

And the prior owners have lost those nice little strap pegs on the back covers..

Rolling on the highway

11. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks. Maybe that solves the import question about it. Seems logical.

The dealership just testdrives their bikes they buy. I decided to take it like this and learn from it myself.

There are really no issues, new front tire is also installed. The only thing maybe is the fuel usage. What should be normal? On paper 1 liter per 15 km's but i think it could be a little bit more as it goes now. Or maybe cause i use it too agressive....

12. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    It really looks like the picture as i have it right now, but the fairings are little bit damaged. The pieces that make them fit are really fragile and some are damaged. But i looks perfect for me. Clutch fluid must be first next thing i think. Its still not too yellow but why wait.

13. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    On riding mine to work I average 19-21litres to max 130miles - normally solid red on reserve at 110-115m.

I know it's me riding it in a manner of youthful enthusiasm- lolololol

I do enjoy my commute...

14. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    Mine gets about 40 to 45 mpg, thats about 5-6 litres/100km

I noticed that riding tucked down behind the fairings at 80-90km/h probably is close to 4 litres/100km but then accelerating and riding around town in a mostly upright position gets closer to 6. Or even more.

Since it has 4 carbs, cold starts eat up huge amounts of fuel, so if you fire her up, you better ride her for a while ;)

Rolling on the highway

15. berbalov

berbalov New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks all for the usefull answers.