Bought myself an '84 Interceptor... hello from Ontario! Tips/suggestions?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by coreo, Mar 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. coreo

coreo New Member

Map
    Hey everyone!

I've been looking at older Interceptors for a long time, and finally got myself one at the end of January!
    I bought my first bike, a matte black 1984 VF750F Interceptor!
    It's in great condition, just needing a few little things before it's ready to go.

It is my spring project for this year, and hopefully it will be ready to go soon!

Anyone have any suggestions for things I should check over, recommended maintenance, or things like that?

The oil was changed recently before I bought it.
    So far I've replaced the plugs, flushed and changed the coolant, re-routed some hoses and wiring to get the seat on, and added a new Shorai battery.

Any other recommendations?

Looking forward to reading some more into this great community!

IMG_00000063 min.jpg IMG_00000060 min.jpg

2. Pops

Pops New Member

Welcome to the madness, man! The first thing you want to do is either buy a paper copy of the Field Service Manual, or download the pdf version online. Next, you'll want to verify the condition of your camshafts and followers. These early V4s were prone to upper end problems - the fastest way to peace of mind is to pull the cam covers and inspect the surfaces of all cam lobes. Minor scuffing or burnishing is okay - you're looking for large pits in the lobes' surfaces.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions - this site is a tremendous knowledge base - quite a few very knowledgeable guys with tons of experience with these gen 1 bikes. Try to use the search function first since your questions have probably been asked and answered a couple time before! There are also a fair number of folks that will question your sanity for buying a gen 1 - just take it with a grain of salt!

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Check the front brakes. There are rubber boots covering the sliders and pivot points. Also make sure they slide on the pins real easy. They will over time get corroded/gummed up. You could check the R/R connectors/wires. If they are soldered that's a good thing. Connectors build resistance and then melt. At sometime check the spark boxes connectors. They start to oxidize and you'll lose spark to cylinders. Otherwise if it was maintaned thru out it's life, it's a pretty solid bike. As Pops said some will say different.

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    AHHHH memories . Nice looking ride - like the wheels ------- Welcome

5. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Welcome Coreo your Gen 1 looks very tidy, looks like somebody has been taking great care of it. I would be checking the items already suggested, but other than that, unless you are wanting to get really picky just enjoy the ride!

6. coreo

coreo New Member

Map
    It came with a full service manual, which has turned out to be pretty handy already. :)
    It was fully "restored" recently, but I'm not sure how far he went. It's thoroughly cleaned, and every gasket has been replaced. I'll have to get under the cam covers to see what the top end looks like... hopefully it won't need any attention there.

Overall it seems to be well maintained. I have some work to do on the front brakes, and the rear axle needs to be aligned and tightened.

Thanks!

7. coreo

coreo New Member

Map
    We'll see when I get to that though... tonight I bought a VTR250 Interceptor for the lady, so I might be playing with that for the next little while.
    As an "Interceptor", does it count in these forums, even though it isn't a VF? ;)

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I have the same bike. You and I are out of our minds!!!

9. coreo

coreo New Member

Map
    Excellent! That's what I like to hear! :)

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    coreo, it was the bike I wanted when I was a young guy with a bit of money to spend, but for some reason I never pulled the trigger. Then about 5 years ago I bought one. It can be a pain sometimes - fork seals, suspension, brakes, cam chain tensioners have given me problems. But it's fun to ride. I love it!

Ah, no, I hate it!

No, really, I love it!!!

Ah, nuts!