Boots to protect my feet/shins on the Viffer?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by cha6040, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Anyobody have any advice on a decent set of inexpensive riding boots that work well on the VFR?
    I bought a pair of Cortech R/R boots and they seem to be more designed for a super sport or race bike, as I can't bend my left foot back far enought to let the shifter lever release. I have not tried adjusting the shifter yet. Anyhow, the Cortech's are for sale on my local craigslist and I need a different pair. Thanks in advance

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have a pair of TCX S-Zero boots that I love for doing long rides, these are more sport/touring oriented and are also very easy to walk in when off the bike. Not sure what price range you are looking at but take a look at Motorcyclegear.com they have a good selection of make/models and they also have something called the "customer's closet", it's basically a consignment area where people can sell their used gear, many good deals can be found there. What you want to stay away from is the race style boot, and look more for the "everyday" or touring style boots. The trade off though is race style boots have loads of protection, not only for impact but for reduction in over-extension movement of ankles/toes, basically helping to keep you more protected in a crash, but you sacrifice "off bike" comfort. I hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

3. VT_VFR

VT_VFR New Member

United States
    Map
  4. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  5. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

These are the boots I have that aren't working out. Did you have to adjust the shifter? Or maybe your feet are the right size for that boot to work on the viffer. I love the boots, and they are comfortable, but not being able to shift on the bike was almost scary getting it around the block.

6. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Thanks, I'll have to check those out. I appreciate the info

7. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Boots are a catch-22 kinda. You get too stiff of a boot, you lose mobility, but if you get too soft of a boot, you put yourself at more risk for foot/ankle injury. I know several who have had negative results of the latter (too soft) It is a fine line.....and you must choose wisely young padawan....

:vader:

8. Shmerick

Shmerick New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought some used mid calf length Alpinestar's on ebay this spring and love them. I bought another set of Joe Rocket's about a month ago and I may never use them. The Alps' are nice pliable and waterproof, the Rockets' are hard as nails and have all that plastic armor shite all over them.
    Size 42 if anyone is interested. Sell em for less than I paid I bet (cheap).

So ditto on derstuka, win some lose some.

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  10. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I wear Sidi racing boots all the time. They are more comfy than my slippers and I think I only paid $150 for them like 9 years ago.

11. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

They seem to have come up in price, they're averaging $200+ I might try adjusting the shift lever and try the cortecs out again. Especially seeing as they're not selling on craigslist yet. Or maybe they just need breaking in... a lot of breaking in

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The question might be, do ya need the Ricky Racer look to keep your tootsies intact. Do the boots have to have replaceable pucks ect., or match the paintjob? How much do economics come into play? Just for grins, a dude making 100k a year is well able to call his boots economical at $500.00 as a dude making ten grand a year who has a pair of steeltoe laceups from Walmart at forty bucks a pop.

If the bike can't be shifted, IMO something else is haywire.

What does BB wear? Ostrichskin polo boots lined with chinchilla.

13. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

I'm looking in the sub $250 range. And what do you mean you believe something else is haywire? I can shift perfectly with a pair of puma running shoes on or my work boots.

14. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Sidi cobra. Sidi makes some of the best boots on the market. Confort is secnd to none. I was concerned that the more protective boots made it look like you were racing the circuit. But the cobra like the old B2 from sidi, offer gret protection for the street. Will fit under your pants etc.

Like everything else (helmets, tires etc.) there are trade offs, the more race lookng the boot the more protective features on the boot and the price goes up. Pull all that stuff off and you have a more understated boot but less of those protective features as well little lower price but less protectin.

I ended up with the more more race style boot (sidi B2 disontinued now the cobra) and after wearing them for a bit not bothered by them the look a bit.

15. fitzharris

fitzharris New Member

16. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Strange. I have no problem on my 6th and didnt need to adjust anythng. I wear euro size 45.

17. Badbilly

United States
    Haywire is a general term. You may even have a defective boot or boots. Or for all we know, you have webbed feet or wear a size 16 EEE.

Lots of boots out there for $250.00.

For a few pesos more you can get custom made boots. This is what I wear.

http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephotos/alert_boot_large2.jpg

Same boots were used on early spaceflights and are popular with military pilots. Dehners will usually add a shift patch at no cost.

The boots are custom made. Wait time is usually about two months.

One of the reasons these boots were chosen by USAF was that if you augur in sometimes all that is left is your feet. Yep, if you fly they take your footprints..

I usually save the ostrich/chinchillas for my ballet recitals.

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
  19. Badbilly

United States
    Brits are famous for custom shoes and boots. I heard once that they still have the original "last" from the Duke of Wellington.

Not a fan of lug soles here either. All that comes I think from those huaraches that got tread with an old tire carcass by some hippie dude in the 60's.

Gotta differentiate from custom fit boots and shoes to custom made. Dehners requires measurements of both feet. This has to done by somebody else. No selfies here. 13 different areas are covered (that's about right) Wait time is a minimum of two months and sometimes longer when the whole outfit goes on vacation.

They will also add things like a knife pocket, zippers anyplace you want them ect. Also several type of leather, soles and heels ect.

Dehners also make the classic motor officer boots. Pricy... Polo boots too. Great for ballet recitals biker style..:)

Did you notice that on the Altberg boots the lug soles are Vibram.. USA!!

Great boots are also made in Canada (the company name escapes me) and for other great boots, Danner in Portland makes some great ones.

Some of the "famous" maker boots are made in Eastern Europe and are farmed out just like the US "tennis" shoe companies farm out their shoes to the far East. I wonder if all those folks making those shoes and boots are really chained to their foot operated sewing machines and are only fed gruel and beaten three times a day by guys wearing Harley hats.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  20. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I everything is deligated and farmed out to the extent that one poor dude in Sri Lanka is doing all the work.

Yeah, agreed that there is a diff between custom made and custom fit. Whenin englan altberg will measure your feet nd make a pattern for you to keep on hand. I just keep a link for them since sme folks like that stuff.

I think it is funny that the aerostich boots have a sidi sole and the altberg boots use vibrum.