Boot ???

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by havcar, Apr 5, 2009.

1. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Hello all,

So I need a new pair of boots and I'm not sure what to get. I've researched and read reviews on many pairs from Joe Rocket, Nitro, Alpinestar etc.., and I'm having a difficult time finding any practical information. The pair I'm dumping are Alpines and I think that on this go around I want something more user friendly than a pure track boot, not to mention something more wallet friendly.

I'm looking for an all in one type boot( go figure ), I need them to be armoured enough for the occasional track day, comfortable "enough" to ride in all day with some walking, water resistant, and hopefully not too expensive( $100-$150). Most of my riding is in the summer so breathability is much more important than warmth. My pants (alpinestar A-10 leather) have protection from knee to ankle so the boots need to be open enough and tall enough to go around the shielding without being knee highs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it doesn't matter from what manufacturer.

Thanks guys, have a good one!

P.S. The Joe Rocket "super streets" look like a maybe, perhaps too tight at the cuff. Anyone using those?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I never skimp on boots, ever. Your feet are in the un-enviable position of being the part of the body that will probably take the most abuse in a fall. With that in mind, you should get the best boots you can afford. You can go cheap but you will probably be that much better off the spend the cash & get a quality pair.

I have the Sidi Canyon. They are a great all-purpose boot. They fit just fine over my JR Speedmaster leathers. If you have narrow feet, Sidi are the boots for you.
    Canyon Gore-Tex - Sidi touring-on road - MotoNation

I wish I would have simply paid the extra cash for the boots I wanted all along & they are the TCX/Oxtar Infinity. They were nearly $100 more but are that much a better boot. They are noticably wider than Sidi boots so I should have gone with them & I would be much happier in the long run. My track boots are going to be TCX. I'm getting them in the next month or so.
    TCX BOOTS - Motorcycle Boots Production - Racing - Touring - off road Boots - Supermotard - motorcycle Boots for Woman

They last boot I can recommend would be the Gaerne Explorer. I've never worn them or even tried them on but every dealer I've ever talked to said Gaerne are the most comfortable moto boots made.
    GAERNE SPA - Cycling shoes, Boots, motocross boots

If you're looking for one of the race looking boots, I would go for the TCX SS Performance 2. Knee Draggers has them for $140 & free shipping.
    www.kneedraggers.com

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have Sidi boots also. Not the same model, but I can echo that they fit thinner feet. Wide feet would not work at least in the ones I have. Tori wears Sidi also and his are are higher model with the flex hinges and stuff and he is pretty impressed with them. So far I like them more than my Alpinestars SMX-4s. I have the B-2 model. Here is a link to a pic but I do not know anything about the website selling them. I am just using it for an example: Sidi B-2 Boots @ Extreme Supply!

4. havcar

havcar New Member

Map

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Can't go wrong with either Sidi or Alpinestar, both a very good boot, yes for all means don't go cheap here, your feet play an important role in your riding ability
    Me, I have Sidi Vertigos and can't be happier.

6. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Now that NJ has a (from what people tell me a world class) race track, I am going to start doing regular track days. I need track boots & perforated leathers. I have a 2 piece I use for normal riding but it is quite unbearable in temps over 85f. So, I spent a full day at 5 different moto dealers last week. None had perforated 1 piece suits in stock. Well, the Duc dealer did but I'm not paying $1500 for leathers that have Puma slathered all over them. They had the matching limited edition Puma race boots for $500. They looked like space boots.

For race boots, I tried on:
    Sidi B2, Veritgo, Vortice (awesome but way too narrow & upon further review, I believe they are significantly overpriced)
    AStars SMX4, SMX5, SMX Plus, SMX R & Supertech (awesome but slightly too narrow & I think the TCX is a better boot for the same $$$)
    TCX Performance II & Competizioni S(awesome & fit just about perfect)
    Gaerne GRS (awesome & fit perfectly & priced right but doesn't fit over leathers)

For grins I tried on the following non-race boots.
    Tourmaster
    First Gear
    Nitro
    Vega

Of all those, the Gaerne's GRS were far & away the most comfortable. Problem is, the stupid, retarded, asinine, idiotic rear-entry system DOES NOT fit over race leathers. :confused: Am I missing something here? A race boot that doesn't fit over race leathers? I almost broke the zipper trying to zip them over my leathers. Gaerne needs to have their head checked. :crazy:

The TCX Competezioni S were almost as comfortable & fit just fine over my leathers. The only dealer in my area (BMW/Ducati/Triumph) that carries them didn't have the color I wanted or I would have bought them on the spot. My local dealer I get just about everything from can beat their price easily so I will be ordering those boots shortly. If these were price under $250, they would be the best race boot value on the market.

For the non race boots, I WOULD NOT recommend the Vega. They just feel way too flimsy. The Tourmaster were OK for the price, but I wouldn't trust them for track duty. The Nitro look & feel cheap & guess what? They are cheap.

KC-10 FE out...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Sidis were designed around a European/Italian narrow foot. Oxtars (new name escapes me) were very wide.

I have had the Sidi Strada Air for three years and they are holding up great! Best $200 I ever spent. I wouldn't mind having the B2 either.

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Oxtar turned into TCX. Don't know why, I think Oxtar sounds cooler.

KC-10 FE out...

9. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

How's the room around the ankle and calf for you guys in TCX(oxtar) vs SIDI boots?

I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigos (ended up being too long for me anyways 14.5 vs 14) but they were way too small in the ankle area. Broke a zipper on one putting them on. Don't know why...the right one goes on a bit snug but never any problems with the zipper. Measured my ankles and no noticeable difference there either...go figure. Must be why I got them pretty cheap.

Looks like I'll have to try out TCX....too bad they don't look that appealing(IMO). Can't have everything if you have big feet I guess.

EDIT: the Competizione S look pretty slick. The RS with the big ass TCX logo...not so much. I stand corrected.

Anyone find a better price for TPX Competizione S in Black Size 14 US / 49 EU than $250 shipped?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  10. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Hey Kc-10, before I start the dealership rounds, which I'm really trying to avoid, did you get the impression that the TCX would have a legitimate amount of breathability aswell as a semblance of water resistance? If so, you've sold me. I'll just order online.

P.S. I'm getting a vibe that suggests that Joe Rocket isn't making a very good boot. I don't know as I've never worn them but the "meteor" looked decent and so did the "super street", am I wrong there?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  11. sgd

sgd New Member

I believe Oxtar had to change their name due to threats of legal action from Alpinestars over the similar sounding name. Have a look at this MCN article: Oxtar has become TCX - Motorcycle News. How petty!

How do you guys rate Daytona boots against Sidi? I have been riding in a set GoreTex Roadstar's since Christmas (thanks mum!) and I have to say I love them. I've got very wide UK size 13 clown feet and these are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever tried! They also offer an even wider fitting.
    Although they certainly aren't cheap, they really do ooze (handmade) quality and Daytona also offer a repair service at the factory using all original parts.

The only thing I would like to see on them is a set of toe sliders but mine are firmly orientated towards road use and they also offer track boots.
    Check out daytona®

12. dirty black bird

dirty black bird New Member

i like the looks of those daytona urbans for daily tough guy looks.i go through a pair of harness boots every 6 months.as i am not racing and prefer a more classic look,that is functional can someone shoot me in the direction of a similar perhaps safer boot more easily available in the u.s.?

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The Dehner Boot Company: Custom Military Boots

This company makes for the most part custom boots. A little pricy but they are custom fitted if you buy the tanned leather military styles in the lower section of the page.
    These are worn by USAF, USMC and USN pilots and were used as overboots in project Mercury and NASA's X-15 program at Edwards AFB.

Toe patches and knife pockets can be added. Sorry, nothing in pink or chartreuse that I know of.

Kind of grisley. Footprints are taken of fighter pilots. Sometimes used for ID when a bird for one reason or another augers in, that is all that is left.

14. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm looking at the Alpinestars S-MX Plus boots. I can get them for about $300 shipped.

15. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I'm coming off of Alpines. Great boots for a specific focus but I would go try some on before you pull the trigger with an online purchase.

Hey Bad, shit...I was thinking of leaning in your direction, but no chartreuse is a deal breaker.

16. joshbea6

joshbea6 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have tried them on in my size and they are a very comfortable fit for my foot.

How do they do with venting?

17. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Mine did well, maybe a scosh hot on warmer days but nothing to cry about. Keep in mind, my boots are about six years old, I don't even remember the model. So things may have changed since then.
    The biggest issue for me was fit and and wet weather. I did everything I could do to avoid the rain but it happens.

18. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

The TCX website says the Competizioni R lining is "Air Tech Breathable". I only had them on for about 15 minutes in a dealer so I really can't coment on whether or not they are breathable in real hot weather. I doubt they will be a very cool boot. The $100 more Competizioni RS has the perforated upper. Water resistant? Well, any boot is going to be slightly water resistant. Would I wear these boots in the rain? Only if I got caught in it. I would never intentially ride with them in the rain. I have other boots for that.

As far as Joe Rocket, my educated opinion is they are attempting to run the route Icon is taking & their products are suffering as a result. An example of this would be the leathers I have. I have the Speedmaster 4.0 perforated leather pants, $240 on closeout from Dennis Kirk. These things feel as quality & as heavy duty as just about any other leathers I checked out. I went with them since they matched the JR Speedmaster leather jacket I've had for years. Not too long after I purchased the pants, the Speedmaster 5.0 debuted. They are in no way, shape or form any where near as heavy duty or anywhere near the quality of the Speedmaster 4.0's. The new pants feel down right cheap. Same goes for the Speedmaster jacket. The new one is nowhere near as good as the one I have & they raised the price $50. It's a shame really, JR used to be one of the best bangs for the bucks. Now, I will most assuredly take my $$$ elsewhere. JR boots have never appealed to me. They just don't feel like they are worth the asking price.

KC-10 FE out...

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    "Hey Bad, shit...I was thinking of leaning in your direction, but no chartreuse is a deal breaker."

LOL! Form over function rules!

20. Scuba71

Scuba71 New Member

I had Joe Rocket Meteors, but changed to Sidi Vertigo's. The Sidi's offer more support and better protection. They also feel alot better while walking. The Vertigo's are a little more sporty than I would like but they fit over my calves better than the B-2's.
    Anyway's hope all this help's, good luck.