bolts & screws....GAAAH!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Keager, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    So, just because I didn't have time, I took my bike in to get the oil changed, get the thermostat changed, other minor things. I got a call from the owner of the shop, who was working on it. Said he was having issues removing bolts. Uhhh...OK. SO I left work early and went over. Seems as though the top bolt on the left side was stuck because of the rubber grommet thing had seized up. Also the same for three of the bottom four bolts that hold on the rock guard, and some of the side bolts. Out of 10 bolts, 3 maybe 4 are salvageable. Took quite a while with 2 motorcycle mechanics and me just taking off the f'n bolts. I don't think I've ever had this many issues - EVER - with bolts like that. What ever happened to the 1/4 turns hold once used - that rocked! Why, Honda, why did you need to go away from something that worked so well...

Let's not get started on those stupid pins....

Anyone else ever have issues like this? I mean, it took three hours just to get the left side plastic off! aarg!

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

dissimilar metals and overtightening are the typical root causes of this problem.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    A little bit of anti-seize helps with dissimilar metals.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Bingo! we have a winner. Not only that, but 6-8 lbft isn't as much as you think it is.............

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^

Thus the use of a torque wrench...even on bolts that seem unimportatnt is a good idea :).

BZ

6. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    Top bolts on what? What part?

7. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    the upper plastic next to the dash. The elbow piece there.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Would have nailed it if he included piss poor design. Have felt your anger and frustration in the past. A very simple task turned into a nightmare of trying not to ruin too much and the focus of job at hand is lost. Hope the folks working on your bike did not beat you up to bad financially while trying to unfuck the mess.

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    no. I've been going to him since 1996. Even if I don't take my bike to him, I still stop by the shop and just bs with him. Mostly because he is brutally honest, and cannot stand my ex either. He used to call her and just say "hey fat ass. You're fat. You want me to call Village Inn and send you some pies so you can get fatter, fat ass? Oh yeah, you are ugly as well" then hang up. I was freakin rolling I was laughing so hard. As with any place, some people have a problem with him, i never have. I always tell him up front what I think, what I want, and that he is in competition with the internet. I think I wanted Crusty (jokermobile) to call him because I think he probably has the last pair ever of lever skins in the wold. But they are purple. They would go with his color scheme.

I think the parts total for bolts, grommets, and the left side L by the dashboard is up to $150. I think he may split the L with me as he damaged it, even though it was cracked.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If I bought every farkle that everyone posted on here, my 91 would probably weigh about 300 lbs. more than it does. Maybe the best deal for all those fasteners is to buy the kit pack and just change them all out or save up and buy race stuff.

Sounds like "mechanic dude" is getting porky on parts too..

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The lower fairing allen bolts for the exhaust cover come off ok, may help that I use some grease on them.
    My mid 1/4 turn d-zus fasteners still come off in a heart beat, you could remove both mid sections in 2 minutes :smile: with just a philips stubby. Helps it was an un-molested bike though. Hate inheriting other peoples broken shate.

12. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I would get new. Those things are like $14 each, plus getting the special clip is about $6 (price estimated) so I would be looking at about $200...for just one side. I could buy two sets for that. Probably will have something new by then - who knows what the next gen of VFR is going to bring, or even if I will stick with a sport bike by then. May be a GW..but those are not just putz around town scooters.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Mthinks we are all not on the same page. Try Google "motorcycle fairing fastener kits" or similar. Looks like about 50 bucks covers a whole kit. BB would be checkin out this dealer/mechanic dude a lot closer too. Those funky little push rivets can be found by the bagfull at NAPA or by a search online for "fastners" in general.

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Keep twisting, I don't think the bulb is fully seated in the socket.

15. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I was talking about the 1/4 turns like what was on my 95 RR.