Blue Ridge Parkway 6 Aug 2014

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by TNRabbit, Aug 9, 2014.

1. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I took a trip from Spotsylvania, VA, to Marion, VA, on Aug 6th to go to court for a speeding ticket I'd received on my way to visit family back over the July 4th holiday (91 in a 70--got it reduce & paid a lower fine). On the way back, it was hot & traffic on I-85 was sucking ballz (as it always does), so I decided I'd hit the Blue Ridge Parkway to relieve the heat & slab traffic. I'd done portions of it before but never the entire thing & I didn't have to be at work the next day so thought, "what the hell!" I knew it would tak longer, but underestimated EXACTLY how much longer...

Got on the parkway just north of Roanoke about 5:30 p.m. & got off at I-64 22 miles west of Charlottesville about 10:30 that night....

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS DRIVE! Beautiful vistas, amazing twisties, astounding sunset~

The best part, I didn't see a single automobile the first 90 miles! Saw a couple of motorcycles, but that was it. I was surreal. I never saw a single cop the entire 107 miles. 45 MPH speed limit, but I was happily cruising along at 54 MPH.

No bear this time, but saw TONS of deer, especially after dusk. Fog crept in around 9 p.m. & it was a little spooky~

Around the time the fog rolled in, I hit a piece of the parkway where they were repaving & only had dirt/gravel base for about 2 miles. Glad I wasn't flying when I hit that~

The pictures truly do not do it justice. I highly recommend everyone do this at least once in your life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Nice. Doing the whole 470 miles is on my bucket list. Hopefully i have as nice of a ride this weekend at the Gap

3. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    Totally nice pix TNRabbit. I was there on a Royal Enfield Bullet. Now I've got the '97. If you had to pick an hour ride, from where to where would you pick?
    Cheers,
    Bill (in Arlington)

4. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    This section of highway 33 west of Harrisonburg, VA:

Best Section of Hwy 33 WV.jpg

5. Guaire

Guaire New Member

United States
    Map
    33 runs east, right back to northern VA. Thanks.