Blinker mirrors upgrade?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by OldSchoolInterceptor, Jun 9, 2020.

1. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    My OEM mirrors are just a bit scratched up and I’m going to replace them probably with EMGO. Before I do, has anyone tried to refit with a Newer school blinker on the mirror? How did it go? What was the donor bike? Pictures would be appreciated. I’ve seen some pics online with 5th gens refitted but not 6th gens. I’m sure some are out there.

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If you just want to replace scratched up exisiting mirrors then I would go with EMGO. They are so close match to standard that most people will not know the difference.

Changing the mirror style is simply an aesthetic choice as there is no evidence they provide additional safety, and the real reason manufacturers go down that route is they pretty much lock owners into buying painfully expensive OEM replacement parts every time their motorbike tips over.

Indeed the whole idea of fitting fragile plastic indicator lenses onto the most frequently damaged component on vehicles seems yet another money making wheeze dreamed up by a sales exec in the manufacturers parts department.

SkiMad

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I can relate to that... on my 5th Gen, I bought some replacement turn signal lenses ($25) from China that are a much lighter amber and upgraded the bulbs with Superbrite LED's.... keeps the original look, yet allows the running lights to "shine". Caution if you are going to do this, the lenses aren't glued on very well, pop them off and glue on all around with clear RTV.
    I replaced my scraped up (by the PO) mirrors with Emgo's (BTW the carbon fiber ones are a poor excuse for carbon fiber, stick with black). Had to use the OEM mounts (Emgo's are wrong for 5th Gen stud spacing), and that wasn't hard to do at all. No having to figure out how to route wires, etc......
    I have another idea I'm working on for more conspicuity lights.... my genius will show later, LOL.

4. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    The clear corners I got from China were for a different bulb holder and didn’t work at all another waste of time and $$. If your genius works out please share!

5. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    The turn signal lenses for the Gen5 were a perfect fit and bulb sockets fit no problem.