Black Hills - June 2016

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by Jeff_Barrett, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Well, I really wanted to meet up with Randy and some other guys up the Kootenay's at the end of July but as fate would have it, stuff came up.

Since then, I've been able to book another trip at the beginning of June. My buddies from VA and OH that I went on my MI Upper Peninsula / WI trip with are trailing to Keystone, SD where I'll meet them at Wolf Camp. (http://www.wolfcampkeystone.com/))

We'll roll up on the Badlands, Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, and hopefully Devils Tower in the next state over.

While they're trailering, I'll be riding the VFR down ... it's a long hard day of riding (about 10.5-11 Hours). Looking forward to seeing them again and riding SD!

Suggestions are welcome ... (unless you're SOW)

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Caffeine tabs and water. Leave to coffee alone. Its a diuretic and makes you pee.

3. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Btw. I will be out your way either side of July long weekend for a couple weeks. In Ste. Ànne for the long weekend and not sure where we are camping the rest of the time. I think I have your Phone number. You still on party lines out in Garrison?

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Haha. No - we have real phones here in Garson.

That said, we rarely answer our home phones. If it's important, folks call us on our cellulars. Give the heads up when you know the exact dates. I'll throw some full insurance on the VF1000F and we can go for a rip. I'm going to insure it as vintage ... if there's an 'event' that weekend, I won't need to put full insurance on it.

As for the suggestions - I was thinking more along the lines of routes, must sees, and such. :)

I usually slam Powerade at fuel stops.

5. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Black Hills Planning.jpg

Doing a little pre-trip planning for the Black Hills. It's only a little over a month away. :)

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    You know. You can get these neat little things called GPS. Some are designed specifically for bikes and you can prepare routes on a program called Basecamp if you have a computer. You do have one of those don't you? Or are you using momma's computer?

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I like paper maps in the top of my tank bag clear map pocket. I do carry a GPS but rarely use it and it got damaged in the accident. I looked the new motorcycle GPS units and they are absurdly priced, especially compared to the car models.

The reason I like paper maps is that I can pull out a highlighter and change my route quickly - it also leaves me a record of these changes and the possibility to make notes about a particular stretch of road if it's exceptionally good to ride.

What's your excuse? Don't know how to read a map in your old age? Can't see it with out those specs on, Grampa?? :p

*shots fired* ... LOL!

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    One for Jeff. Actually I prefer paper maps but they are getting increasingly hard to find. Good ones anyway. It was either Marrib and I or Derstuka and I we looking all over the place on one of my trips down south a few years back and just gave up. Every few years I get a new Rand McNalley atlas for fhe truck but they are not that detailed like tbe old travel maps you used to buy at the old BA Service station, the ones where someone pumped your fuel at 39¢/gal, checked your oil, and cleaned you windshield with a chamoise that was wrung out fhrough a wringer. So my old dad told me.

9. NormK

NormK New Member

Randy, they still did all those things at a "service station" out here till about 40 years ago, not sure what they are called now probably a "servo" where you servo yourself

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    They are called Self Serve or Gas Bars. Don't think there is any such thing as a full service station any more here. In Richmond BC, there is a municipal bylaw that says an employee must pump your fuel. Self Serves are not allowed. But they sure as hell don't lift the hood or clean the window though. And they look like a self serve too.

When I was in my last year of high school, I also worked an almost full time job at one of our national breweries and had a few part time jobs as well. One of those was pumping fuel at the corner Gulf Station that was full service. That was in Winnipeg and it was colder than a witch's tit in January and February but hot and muggie in July August. But I recall enjoying that work. People were always friendly towards me. Even the stuffy old bitches in their caddys and Mercedes. We were one of the few stations at the time in our area who pumped deisle.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Randy - just go online with your computer and hit up the tourism sites for the Province(s) and State(s) you're visiting.

They send out paper roadmaps in their packages and it's FREE.

12. JeremyW.

JeremyW. New Member

Hmmm... I might beable to ride up. 4hr trip for me. I'm in Wyoming. It's almost 4hr ride to Keystone, SD for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

13. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    I just did this ride yesterday. The loop through 16A and 87(pinnacles road) is one of the best rides I've done.

14. nic579

nic579 New Member

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Any good swimming holes around Keystone?

16. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Sheridan lake looked really scenic. They have beach facilities, you're probably just looking at a day use fee.

[​IMG]

17. JeremyW.

JeremyW. New Member

Dang.. sucker is loaded. I have the whole setup also... just missing the hard side bags

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Good to know, thanks V4toTour!

@Jeremy - we arrive in Keystone late on June 4th. As for loaded ... yeah, if you're going for any length of time and camping vs. hotels, you need a little extra space:

loaded-bike.jpg

19. JeremyW.

JeremyW. New Member

When I worked rigs in Colorado, I'd take my honda vtx 1300 down and it was loaded. I'll try and find a pic. Love camping

20. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Caffeine is the chemical in coffee that causes you to pee. It reduces the renal kidney wall's permeability to water.