Bizare VF700F Electrical issue

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by MrJoelieC, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    I have a horid electrical issue that has conveniently showed up while I'm trying to sell my old bike... (more on that later.)

I deiscovered quite by accident that the connector from the stator to the regulator/rectifior was half molten... A little disconcerting to be sure.. The connector had fused 2 leads together and thus the battery was not getting charged at all... I removed the connecotr housing and performed tests based on the Stator... I followed the instructions based on the Shop manaul..

The stator test fine.. the Regulator seems fine as well... But then again my multimeter really kind of sucks..It's an anolog not a digital and can be hard to read...

A potencial buy was looking at it the machine and asked if it Ran. I started it and of course it runs perfectly... However... I saw light out of the corner of my ey... one of the leads was loose and casueing an arc that generating LOT of heat and thus starting a small fire on the make shift insulators I had fasioned....

Anyone ever seen anything remotely like this?

Why am I selling it? Well I had been saving for some time for a generation 6 VFR... I had a bit of money saved up and when this issue occured the wife said "why dont you just buy a newer one?"

Now not sure about you but when the finance director (i.e. the wife.) gives a green light to buy a bike you take heed... But I said "there is nobody selling a generation 6 VFR with low miles for under $5000... (my self approved budget)

I found one and just now returned form driving it home...woah what a different ride from the VF700F...woooo hooooo!

2. elizilla

elizilla New Member

Those connectors melt all the time. There's an upgraded one available from Honda, but the upgraded ones melt too. Some people just solder in some extra wire and get rid of the connector altogether.