Bikers won't like sound of this!

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by Snafu, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Snafu

Snafu New Member

BY FRANK LOMBARDI
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, December 11th 2008, 2:18 AM

Vroooom that noisy motorcycle once too often and the city could own it.

In a new bid to stem motorcycle noise, the City Council is set to pass a bill requiring all bikes to sport tags certifying approval by the Environmental Protection Agency.

No EPA tag, you get a ticket, without the officials having to prove the bike exceeded the 80-decibel limit set by the city's noise code.

"Today we go a long way toward taking the squeal out of the hogs," said Peter Vallone (D-Queens), chairing a final bill hearing Wednesday in the Public Safety Committee.

Under the bill, expected to pass the full Council Dec. 18, a first conviction carries a maximum $1,000 fine and temporary confiscation until the penalty is paid.

A second conviction hikes the maximum fine to $2,500 and imposes permanent forfeiture.

NYPD Lt. Daniel Albano testified that existing laws require cops to catch noisy motorcyclists in the act, which is difficult and can entail potentially hazardous chases.

The new measure would let single officers on foot patrol - or other city agents - ticket parked motorcycles, he said.

It gives police "an extra tool to get at what is truly a serious problem," said Councilman Alan Gerson (D-Manhattan), who crafted the bill based on a law in use in Denver.

But biker Bill Ferraro, president of the Union Ironworkers Motorcycle Club, Local 580, testified that "it's unsafe for us to ride when the pipes are too low."

He also said the city can't close its budget gap "with confiscation of bikes and seizure."

flombardi@nydailynews.com

2. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    "it's unsafe for us to ride when the pipes are too low."
    Stats from insurance say bikes with modfied exaust where overly represented in crashes...

3. Rev

Rev New Member

I like this one:

Apparently all other crime in NY has now been eliminated.

4. gwooly

gwooly New Member

This Peter Vallone guy sounds like a real puss! I would bet he drives something like a Fiat or a VW beetle (but obviously never rode a bike before in his life, and knows his wife secretly lusts after bikers).

5. Rev

Rev New Member

This brings up an interesting 'problem' for me. I bought my bike 11 years ago with a 2Bros full exhaust system (no EPA stamp) and the stock one is long gone. I'd have to track down another stock exhaust and who knows what the hell that would cost.

6. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I wish we could have been at the meeting and said that!

7. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Ya know, when one hears an ear-shatterly loud Harley (or other bike) with straight pipes, is it really any wonder that these laws get enacted? Loud pipes make laws....

8. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I don't know if this is the best way to enforce noise laws but the bottom line is that there are way too many excessively loud bikes AND cars out there and something needs to be done. I ranted about this on the "Who Hates Harleys" thread so I won't reprise that rant. But, the fact remains, noise and light pollution are the forms of pollution that rarely get publicity but they are both very bad.

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Loud pipes make laws...

I might have to put that on a T-shirt Stuka!

BZ

10. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    First, I agree loud pipes are a problem. My objection to laws like this are that they don't take into account that there are exhaust systems that are under 80 decibels other than stock. I still think to get a ticket they should have to prove your vehicle exceeds nose levels. They already have a nose ordnance here and if your playing you radio too loud the cops here have a meter that reads in DB's and they'll write you a ticket. All a law like that does is create a market for fake "EPA Stickers" and more gutted stock exhausts. Oh yeah, and make money for the town council, can't forget the most important part - MONEY.

Action

11. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    I don't mind after market pipes and i plan on moding mine.

But there is a line, I mean when you can hear one across town and when one goes by all you can do is cover your ears and hope they go away. Some bikes are way way way to loud.

I don't think vfr's have to much to worry about as even the loudest cans will have a quieter sound than some Harleys and we will always post better environmental numbers. It just really needs to target the excessive ones.

Like everything else there are shades of grey to the issue. People should be able to mod bikes and change the sound. but once that sound infringes on others reasonable enjoyment, they have gone to far and there should be penalties.
    Determing where that line is, and how to enforce it is the question. As with anything they pick the easiest cheapest way with no reguard to what anyone actually wants or the fee's it may charge to them.
    The system propsed harasses bikers but leaves cars alone.
    the system meens more fee's as you need a new tag.
    means more revenue for the cops.
    means less work for the cops as they can ticket parked bikes.

Does this benifit everyone? no.

I agree the current system is simply to hard to enforce as they are required to catch him in the act. a change to legislation may be better that requires people charged with a noise violation to submit to a spot test on there bike. Or once pulled over they can perform a road side test of sorts. If it's on the road and it an illiagal exaust well you get a fine. An illigal exaust definition is not any after market or modded exaust only the extream loud or poor performance one's.

needs work some lawyer type can make it better but i think the real problem is not the current limits but the enforcment of them with out being a harasment to all other riders.

12. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    It's not surprising at all. As long as they take care of the cars with the fart cans on them at the same time, I'm OK with it. Cars make a lot of road noise as well which can't be ignored.

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I hate that they are trying to make yet another law, but I totally understand it. Where I live there is a small bridge crossing the creek and there is a stop sign. There are a few bikers that everytime they stop there just hammer it when taking off. The ones I really hear no matter what I am doing are those Harley's. I know they are Harley's because I know the sound and I have seen them. I'd like to blame it on some other bikes, but really the loudest ones are riding Harley's with straight pipes and it chaps my ass. I have an aftermarket pipe and my bike is loud without being obnoxious. As always, someone will push it to far. At least that law isn't here in CA for once. Although next time a harley cruises by at 1 am and wakes me up, I'm gonna wish they'd get his bike...

14. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    haha @ road noise.
    funny here there are tons of f350 all raised up with massive tires...the wind noise is amazing.

15. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I rode to a city office to pay a bill. I walked in the door all geared up, helmet still on. The clerk looked at me and said, "Oh, hello. I did not hear you ride up. Where is your bike?" I let her know it was right outside and that I preferred it quiet. She then looked at me like I was stupid. A quiet bike? What the...? So I smiled and payed my bill and went quietly on my way.

The music of my V4 is for me, not everyone in the surrounding square mile.

16. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

You know, after reading posts like this, is it any wonder that people are further & further pissed-off & frustrated with their elected governments? Not to mention why people hate LEO's?

I've said it many, many times on this forum, we riders, ALL OF US, need to start policing our own ranks. As the article & forthcoming law proves, Big Brother is all to happy to do it for us. The difference is, when Big Brother polices us, he takes our $$$ in the process.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  17. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I don't mind after market pipes and i plan on moding mine.

my comments are with the astrikes**

But there is a line, I mean when you can hear one across town and when one goes by all you can do is cover your ears and hope they go away. Some bikes are way way way to loud.

**This is totally spot on, cars to me are the worst offenders,Maybe because there are more on the roads.

I don't think vfr's have to much to worry about as even the loudest cans will have a quieter sound than some Harleys and we will always post better environmental numbers. It just really needs to target the excessive ones.

** Enviromental Numbers? Noise abatement of emissions.... not sure if Harley has gone to non carbed models. The custom choppers use carbs. and straight pipe

Like everything else there are shades of grey to the issue. People should be able to mod bikes and change the sound. but once that sound infringes on others reasonable enjoyment, they have gone to far and there should be penalties.

**** spot on

Determing where that line is, and how to enforce it is the question. As with anything they pick the easiest cheapest way with no reguard to what anyone actually wants or the fee's it may charge to them.

**this happens all the time. Cali is gonna have to pay the vehicle registration fees that our "great " governor repealled before he got elected. Just to help the state with revenue.

The system propsed harasses bikers but leaves cars alone.
    the system meens more fee's as you need a new tag.

**Should go both ways spot on.

means more revenue for the cops.

***careful on this one, 5-O doesn't get the money, the city/county/state does

means less work for the cops as they can ticket parked bikes.

** In cities like NY LA, Boston, (you get the point) they all have meter maids/ parking officers, who do that all day long. Even out here in Santa Barbara we have meter maids. Is the law a moving violation? or other? I think thats what needs to be determined.

Does this benifit everyone? no.

***Well, it does to a point, I recall the ticket revenue that we generated went to the school system to help offset yearly costs.

I agree the current system is simply to hard to enforce as they are required to catch him in the act. a change to legislation may be better that requires people charged with a noise violation to submit to a spot test on there bike. Or once pulled over they can perform a road side test of sorts. If it's on the road and it an illiagal exaust well you get a fine. An illigal exaust definition is not any after market or modded exaust only the extream loud or poor performance one's.

** Illegal exhaust is defined by the authority having jurisdiction, I knpw that if you vehicle is supposed to have cats and it doesn't thats an illegal exhaust, if the stock exhaust is modified it becomes an illegal exhaust. Even a rusty exhaust that is leaking is an illegal exhaust. That being said it should be a fix it ticket and nothing more.....

needs work some lawyer type can make it better but i think the real problem is not the current limits but the enforcment of them with out being a harasment to all other riders.

***the enforcement of this law will be used as a "reason" to pull people over and give "sobriety checks " to. they won't happen alot during the day when it "noisy out" .

I am in no way condoning this law or agreeing with it I think the targeting of the sport bike community is malicious, and biased... This is just another way to try and stop the Honest law abiding folks that ride within (or slightly above) the law. I think someone must have rode past an elected officials house late one night and spun doughnuts in his driveway...

Peace out.

CR

18. steven113

steven113 New Member

I think the us govt should just quit beating around the bush and pass a law that simply states "NO FUN ALLOWED":(

19. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Don't tempt them.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

20. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Funny you mention it. I originally had a sentence in my post that said "douchebags in huge diesels with monster mud tires" but I didn't think it was necessary so I removed it :biggrin: