Big trip soon! Need all the help i can get!

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by VFR2PDX, May 16, 2012.

1. VFR2PDX

VFR2PDX New Member

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and probably my last before I start my 3600 mile trip. I'll be starting off in central Florida and heading up to Columbus/NE Ohio for a few days. From there I'm going to be making my way home to Portland, Oregon. I don't have too strict of a schedule to keep but once I leave Ohio I plan to be home within a week, but who knows what will happen along the way. My bike, a 98 vfr800fi, is new to me as is riding itself. Currently she's in the shop getting ready for the road. Can't wait to head out but I'm sure once I leave I'll think of something I wish I had. So I'm here to avoid this and need your help.

Ideas on the following would be much appreciated:
    -Sleeping - a few hotels but mostly camping, favorite spots? Meeting couch surfer friendly people would also be amazing!
    -Tools - might be a pain but as my bike is in the shop and home is nowhere in sight a specific list of road tools(sizes needed) would be beyond perfect. Short on cash so I'll only be acquiring the necessities.
    -Fun - anything along the way you feel is worth seeing. I want this trip to be a memorable one.
    -Traveling- great detour roads or anywhere you would avoid riding through.

Also if anyone is planning a trip or has the free time to jump on board road buddies are more than welcome!
    Specific or general comments/questions, let me here your voices! Thanks to everyone in advance I'll try to reply quickly to any questions or offers you have.

2. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Wow, ambitious for a newbie. Where to start... I just took a 1500 mile four day trip to the tail of the dragon from Pittsburgh, PA. Make sure you have a travel size can of chain lube and a rag, I lubed mine after every day's ride when the chain was warm. Your likely going to want to ride with ear plugs in to reduce fatigue, so stock up. Even still, make sure you have some advil/tylenol along for the aches that riding any bike that kind of distance will create. If your using soft saddlebags make sure you put your valuables in ziploc bags or even place everything inside the bags in heavy plastic bags or dry bags. Even if your softbags say their waterproof or have rain liners, chances of them doing their job 100% is slim. Be sure you have sufficient wet weather protection as well. If you don't have waterproof riding gear, get some, theres nothing worse than being soaking wet and still having another 300 miles to ride. Carry water and snacks and stop often to keep yourself fresh. I take a small spray bottle with some kind of visor cleaner and a microfiber towel to clean the bugs off my faceshield. Putting in that many miles you will likely find yourself doing this several times a day. Make yourself a list of things to take and pack carefully. Doing an online search will bring up some info of tips on what to bring. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

3. VFR2PDX

VFR2PDX New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Most of my friends think I'm a little nuts for doing it but I've always wanted a bike and I've always wanted to take a cross country trip. This way I get both at once. I came down to FL to visit my grandparents, stayed passed my return flight date and now here I am. So far I love the VFR and can't wait to get on the road. Again thanks for the info and the luck!

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    In addition to davis5g recommendations
    Sleep low budged= Bring a small tend and sleeping bag this will allow you to rest anywhere along the road.
    Tools= Fix a flat kit a must......small pump or air cartridges chain adjustment
    Ipod for music, cell phone for emergency don't forget the charger. Toiletries ;)
    Some power bars and water.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  5. Scubalong

United States
    And a small :chaingun: in case...........

6. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow. Big trip - especially for a new rider. :thumbsup:
    1) Have you taken an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course? If not, take one as soon as possible. If you don't take it before you start your trip - Ride like no body can see you - At least before you leave, get in touch with someone who has been through the course for some useful basic riding coaching.
    Be defensive. :defence: Keep your head on a swivel, keep your eyes moving.

2) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD GEAR - AND WEAR IT. See this web site for further reasons to make sure you have the right gear. Rock The Gear

3) Be prepared for changes in the weather. :rain: :smow:

4) places to visit - Don Garlits drag racing museum in Ocala (there is an admission charge)
    - Atlanta (lots of stuff to see) Atlanta Aquarium, World of Coke, The High Art Museum, etc.
    - Newport KY Aquarium
    - AMA museum in Columbus Ohio (east side of Columbus)
    - COSI in Columbus
    - Columbus Zoo.
    - If you get to Cleveland - Rock & Roll hall of fame, Little Italy, USS COD (on the lake).
    - National Museum of the Air Force - Dayton Ohio. (don't miss this if you like military airplanes - best in the world - and no admission fee)
    - The arch in St. Louis (if you go that way)
    - Chicago Museum of science and industry and the Navy Pier (just a start for that city too) if you are going that way.
    - Black Hills & Mt. Rushmore.
    - Yosemite

Others can fill in more. These are the ones I can think of, and many I have experienced myself.

When are you planning on leaving?

Arrive home safely!
    Good luck!
    :welcome:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  7. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Here's how I ride all day long, day after day...

-I wear a Camelback. You have to hydrate. Seriously, 1k miles a day during the summer and I'm refilling it with ice and water every fuel stop.

-A couple of advil at lunch and dinner whether you hurt or not.

-Sexy pants: Instead of chonies, wear the gel padded spandex cycle britches.

-Want to or not, wear full gear. Grasshoppers hurt, so do rocks kicked up by big trucks. Plus, it helps keep you hydrated helps you maintain body temperature (an issue on long rides).

-Tools: your honda kit, compact jumper cables, fix a flat/inflator, and AAA Road service card (with motorcycle add-on)

-Can of chain lube. Do it at the end of the day, every day, while the chain is still warm.

-Eat something every fuel stop too.

-Pics, or it didn't happen.

-Did I mention hydrate?

8. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    SLOav8r Has some good points, I always bring the chain adjustment spanner and the 17 mm wrench from the bike tool kit to loosen the chain adjustment pinch bolt. Beyond that, a pair of pliers, a screwdriver with interchangeable bits, and a folding set of metric allen wrenches. I don't have flat fix stuff, but I do have roadside assistance through my progressive insurance, make sure you have some.

9. Scubalong

United States
    Please don't count on those road side assistance.............Derstuka and I got AAA and waited half a day without any help. The customer service could not locate a flat bed truck and never did get back with us until we call back.............The bitch having a bad attitude any how, we end up calling one of our friend pick us and the silver bullet up :( with his truck. Good to have roadisde assistance for sure but I have learn to get it fix yourself unless there is no other choice. Just my 2 cents

10. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    Map out the Honda shops along your route. Remember most, if not all shops are CLOSED on Sundays and Mondays.

11. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    you will definitely learn more about your bike and ergonomics on your trip... is that VFR customized at all? specifically seat/handlebars/windshield?

+1 on hearing protection, advil, extra clothes, chain lube, spare boots, spare gloves, ATTGAT...

Cell phones are a distraction and their batteries DIE. when I go on roadtrips that are going to last all day long, I turn mine off to save the battery ESPECIALLY if I'm planning on sleeping in the woods somewhere. (only done that twice) so that I can use it if I have to later on.

OH YEAH.... POST PICTURES FROM THE ROAD! we wanna see that packmule!

12. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

you're nuts, dude...500 mile days as a new rider? You are going to be hurting after a couple days and then need some time off. I would say expand your schedule. As comfy as these bikes are, if you haven't done long distance riding before for multiple days straight, you are going to be in for a big surprise. I think it's like skiing. Really awesome for a day or two, but if you go beyond that, every bone and muscle in your body will hurt.

I like the advil comment...take it even if you don't think you need it.

Eat every time you stop is smart, too.

LOTS of water. If you can drink while you ride, you can ride further, too...

I like your ambition, but just don't let it get the better of you. Ride the crap out of your bike before you get on the road for real. 100+ miles a day for sure but I would try and do some 300 mile loops to get the feel of the time and positioning and all that. It's super easy in a cage because you can move around and open the window (and close it!), listen to the radio and change the station easy. On a bike it's a whole different story...

Stop often...not just for filling up.

Stay mostly on the highway or your wrists won't work anymore when you get home...

Be safe!

13. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

Just another side note...doing 500 miles a day and then getting camp set up (after you took it down in the morning) is a FULL day if you don't get an early start. It sucks setting up a tent in the dark, so just plan accordingly...

14. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Yeh Me dont leave home without one, could always hide it under the seat if the gun-nazis get you. We have friends that are sailing around the world and they had to throw their arms over board before going through Mexican customs. Seems they have trained dawgs on signaling on gun-oil (fuckers.)

I would invest in an Aerostich suit as its the best damn thing to come around since for-eva. I am in south FL and wear the shit out of mine regardless of heat. Gud-Luck on ur epic ride...I am jealous :smile:

15. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
  16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I second the notion of taking some smaller trips first. That is quite and ambitious ride you have planned out there. I just think to do it right out of the gate may be expecting too much for your endurance.

Presently I have about 4k miles under my belt (ar should I say ass) in the last 2 1/2 weeks and it is gruelling for sure. Go find yourself one of those LED flashlights that operate on those little flat batteries and attach it somewhere below your handlebars so that you always have a light. Another light idea is if you are packing a ball cap, get a set of those LED lights that clip to your visor. They are priceless for anything you may have to do to your bike in the dark, but also invaluable to wear when you are setting up camp at night. These free up both hands to work with.

For emergencies, take a credit card that has no ballance on it. Who knows. Going through Vegas or somewhere like that, something might happen like burning your stator. If that happens in Vegas, go to Racer's Edge. They are great.

DON'T, and I repeat DON'T, stay at the KOA in Santa Paula California. hey have peacocks that make one hell of a noise very early in the morning.

A small blow up mattres. The ground is awfully hard after a long day of riding. Let someone know daily where you are. Loved ones worry.

Ride safe bro

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Lotsa diff in endurance levels comparing a guy whose grandparents are still around and some of the old farts who get pooped using the TV remote..

What to carry? A spare R/R..

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    A spare R/R is a gud idea, what about a Glock with a spare magazine? maybe something more stash-able, Kel-Tec makes some slim plastic guns that are worth a look.

19. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I like your enthusiasm, and definitely say dooo eeeet! But please be careful; remember that everyone is an idiot and no one will see you on a bike. Wear gear, and that's not just a jacket, helmet and gloves. That means pants and boots too. Hydrate. Eat. Stretch. Repeat.

Buy a throttle lock or cramp buster. $20. Will save your wrist.

Call the place where your bike is - NOW - and tell them to check the Regulator Rectifier wiring and the charging system.

Lots of other good things stated here.

Am I the only one that gets sweaty balls around here? Buy yourself some talcom powder/corn starch or anti monkey butt powder. Use generously. Remember when you got crabs back in college? A chapped ass and nuts ain't no fun either.

20. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    small flashlight. I have a little yellow light on my key chain with a hearing-aid battery that is bright enough to see some things, and get noticed if you need to. toothbrush. Never forget a toothbrush. And hydrate.