Best place - price for an aftermarket shock for 5th gen?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by captmarc, Aug 3, 2010.

1. captmarc

captmarc New Member

Anyone know where to find the best deal on an Ohlins, Penske, Elka, or other comparable aftermarket shock for a 5th Gen? Not partial to any brand, just trying to find one at the best price, maybe a group buy or VFRW discount somewhere? I'm all ears if someone has a used one they want to sell as well. Thanks!

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
  3. eugene_biker

eugene_biker New Member

+111111111 on the Jamie modified 929. My bike rides so well now.

4. madduxca

madduxca New Member

i just bought an elka 2 way from motoworld. Cost 650 and looks trick. havent got everything peiced together yet due to some other projustd im doing at the same time but i've heard nothing but good things.

5. captmarc

captmarc New Member

Let me know how that works out with the Elka, was looking at that option as well. Why did you go with a 2 way as opposed to 3? Just curious for my own knowledge, I always feel like I HAVE to have the best, but maybe it's not necessary?

6. madduxca

madduxca New Member

I went with a 2 way for a couple reasons. My bike will see prob 3 or 4 trackdays this fall and winter but it is by no means a dedicated track weapon. most of my riding is done at a spirited pace in our local national forest or other half day trips. none of these really require the full adjustability the 3 way offers. I really wouldnt know how to adjust alot of that stuff anyway. hell, im not sure exactly when or how i should adjust the two way. it comes with an adjustment guide so ill be working off that and the help of a couple knowledgeable friends.

After viewing my pics from deals gap on zeephoto.com and killboy.com i noticed that while riding at a good pace with the bike leaned over in those cambered corners the rear suspension was far far to soft. my bike looked like a lowrider. on my last trip I knocked my licese plate off with the back tire when hitting some railroad tracks with far to much crap straped on the bike. The main reason i bought this spring was to have a nice peice that would support my big ass (6'8 262lbs) and luggage if necessary, that i could learn the process of seting up and dialing in my suspension.,Plus, the price was right. I think the three way was another $150 or $200 eventually when i talk the wife into letting me purchase a new dayton 675 , a 3way will be going on stat.