Being very curious, what brand of headers are these?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridnout, Jul 4, 2019.

1. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    As the title says...

eBay item#: 133095602568.

I am stumped. Doesn't look TBR or Erion (but does sorta-kinda ish), and definitely not Delkevic or Black Widow; hmm. Looks like this one found on the net that references as a post here (via Google); however, there never was a definitive branding of the header. The seller lists the headers as, original, guess meaning OEM. Ahhh, finally found it at David Spares, MOTAD. Are those listed on eBay the same? If they are, I have read IIRC that there were two versions, SS and mild steel. These appear to be of the mild steel variety. How do they perform, any good? Although they are available for order, the stock is reported to be available soon. Anyway what are your guys opinions? Definitely not stock, check.
    [​IMG]

I did purchase this, ebay item#: 401803793809. I already went through a process with a set of '99 headers. The re-install was easy. More on all that kinda stuff later; I will be posting some stuff so watch out, help out.

Thanks for ideas.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    If you want a set of TBR replica headers, a group on VFRD will be making another run soon. Get your order in.......

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

mello dude likes this.
  4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    They're fishing for 8th gens too......

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I ran them, got the stainless direct from Andreani. Had them jet hot coated. With leo vince carbon can system, was good for 5+hp on dynojet dyno after tuning, and a decent drop in weight on a 6g. Worked with the centerstand, which didn't matter to me because I took it off. I think that all of these systems should use slip flanges at the head, with springs, and also at the rear cylinder drop tubes, no gaskets or extra clamps required. That way you aren't unbolting the gasket joint every single time you remove the system. And I also think there should be a couple more joints, so that you can line them up better. Tyga does this with their RVF full systems and they are a LOT easier to deal with and a lot more user friendly. Just my $0.02.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If you follow the VFRWorld link I provided, you'll see the dyno results for a 2002 that had these put on and tuned. There was a 10% gain in HP and a gain of a few ft. lbs. of torque after tuning. As for weight loss, I weighed a set of 5 Gen headers, with Cat and without Cat, as this is what I had on hand. The 00-01 headers (with Cat) weighed in at 13.94 lbs., 98-99 (without Cat) 10.38 lbs. and the "replica" headers came in at 9.88 lbs. The difference in primary sizes is as follows. The 00-01 have 30mm I.D., 98-99 have 32.5mm and the replicas has 35.5mm. These measurements were taken using a Harbor Freight caliper, so the +/- might be a small factor.

As for other headers, we know that Delkevic and Black Widow are still producing some but these are supposedly OEM replacements, not "performance" headers, I think there was a letter from BW stating this and that was posted in the thread on VFRDiscussion. The other party that says they would be producing a set was a company called Lextec (sp?) and someone on VFRDiscussion had created a thread about these and at one time the maker said he was going to do a before and after dyno result but for some reason he backed out of doing that.

My understanding is that the "eBay" headers that seem to be available are not meant as a performance header i.e. 2 Bros, Erion, etc. but more of a modern replacement without the Cat. Hence the reason for making the "replica" headers was sought. I can say that 15 sets were sold and another run is being planned. The 8 Gens have their turn at them next, then hopefully back to the 5/6 Gen run shortly after.

mello dude likes this.
  7. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Still, is that a set of mild steel Motard's headers?

Ah good to know info, and sums up a bunch of reading except cost. How much are they? I have the confidence to believe the headers you guys are getting are top notch.

They are probably out of my price range now. You see, I have two and a planned third VFR. Anyway, there is a mechanic down the street that has a 929RR for sale. He initially quoted $2500 and since has said $2000; hmmm, sounds like $1500 gets it. That and the possession of an Ohlins shock makes that so much more delectable. The idea of a super-duper VFR is great, but a '99 relatively low miles, '04 commuter with '99 headers and lowered, some kinda Frankenviffer having engine, harness,... already like Dan Yoder's (?), and a true track bike works for me a bit better over the bigger picture. $700 would go a l0oong way towards the goal along with the removal and reimbursement of unneeded chrome & whatnot through forums, ebay, wherever.

I initially was going to purchase from eBay some 8TH Gen parts including radiator assembly and headers. I wanted to know if I could apply the front mounted 8TH radiator to a 5TH with possibly a small formed sheetmetal shroud, and a more modern rear subframe/rear cowl than Dan Yoder's excellent example to reveal that front head. That was answered, as I believe the buyer tried it out, did a test fit, and IIRC reported on VFRD .

Anyway, are those pictured, a set of Motard headers (mild steel)? If they aren't, what are they?
    Thanks.

About to open a thread on my 5TH Gen Header exploits courtesy of the information received here and some of my own bought sense.

Oh yes, if Delkevic has a header for the 8TH Gen that has tubes closely approximating the diameter of the '98/'99, we are in business. Stock '98 performance with a trick or two, an '04 with '99 or ''99-ish headers, naked '99 with front mounted radiator with Delkevic's maybe, and a '929 could very well do it. Oh yes, is there room for a dual sport like a mini Africa Twin?

For the '04, I do not want to change the character of a commuter too much.

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The Motad headers are the same diameter as the 5th gen, You need to use 5th gen gaskets, they supply one set of the graphite gaskets for connecting the rear downtubes. Motad went out of business in April. They are currently trying to find funding to reopen. The best thing to do would be to send an email to David Silver and ask, or call them, for further clarification. They have great customer service. I actually got more than 5hp out of them when I dyno'd the bike for tuning with a PC3, but I didn't want to post any wild claims. Every dyno is different and I've seen some pretty wild numbers bouncing around.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Right now the price set for the 8 Gen headers is $790 and the next run of 5/6 Gens, provided we get more buyers, should be the same. I will not lie and say the first run of 5/6 headers were perfect, as there was a few with fitment issues, mostly revolving around the O2 bungs and the front right down tube being a bit close the the center cowl that covers the front of the engine.

All of the fitment issues incurred will be addressed in the next 5/6 Gen run but from what I understand, the 8 Gen headers appear to not have any issues. I chalk this up to the pipe builder having a fully dressed 8 Gen present when he was fabricating them.

mello dude likes this.
  10. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Thanks for answering and providing info on cost, fitment...

Yeah, $790 is out of the question. That is half, if remaining, the cost of the 929RR for which I have the Ohlins shock. If purchased, I'd sell all that chrome and drag stuff. That 929, not in my hands or me in the saddle, would be expected to dance around the VFR in anything but all day comfort.

I have been bitten, I want more, and just gotta get a dual sport, as I have land out in the sticks.