Bad comments on VF750F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Nony Pestejo, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Most of the feedback i read on VF750F are bad that makes me feel like Iam on hot water. Like the one recently posted on engine vf500 that he ate his valves, same with the one I once read, attached below. There is one guy here who is interested to buy my VF750F at Php75,000.00 (more or less USD1,500.00 est. 50forex) but I am hesitant because that would mean I lost my former bike XZ200 i trade-in when I bought the VF at PHP60,000.00 (USD1,200). What would be your decision if you guys are in my shoe? sell at loss or have a salvage value? I really appreciate your feedbacks.

983-84: VF750F D E
    "Honda made a sportbike out of this one, and it was a good thing. A 750 that turned the day's litre bikes into dinosaurs. But it ate its own camshafts and cam chains. This is the model that really hurt for Honda, and for 1985 the company retreated to lick it wounds."

2. Taz

Taz New Member

Yes there were issues when Honda left the Gear driven cams, to the chain ones, but all in all they were still very good bikes.
    My 85 VFR500, I put 250,000 miles on it & Never needed a valve adjustment or rebuild.
    I did how ever changed the Oil every 2 weeks or 2000 miles which ever came 1st. I was putting over 910 miles a week on it.
    The person I sold it to has followed my oil regiment changing & as of today has 310,000 plus miles on it, still not smoking or needing any valve adjustment.
    I new of several people that have over a hundred grand on there VFR750's & VFR500's with no problems, in other words my bike wasn't a rareity.
    Sh_t man, it's a Honda for goodness sake !
    The only people I new that had problems with there VFR750's, just beat the Sh_t out of them caynon racing them & track day's screaming them to max all the time, & you got to expect some thing to break when you do that with out rebuilding them after a year or 2.
    Race motors I tear down & rebuild every year.

3. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    Wow! thanks for your uplifting reply. Actually, my bike is in good condition except on 1 thing. It sounds like there is a loose bolt inside during morning warm-up then faded to just a little noise when running. Do you know what might be causing that disturbing sound?

Awake already? early worm ha.

Again, thanks.
    Nony

4. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    WOW TAZ a 500 with that many miles! Thats awsome! I hope mine lasts half that long. did you do anything besides regular oil changes? I was thinking of switching to honda synthetic oil on my next change. Mine has a little less than 30k on it and I hope to get alot more. our riding season is kind of short but I try to ride as much as I can. Last year the only month I didn't ride in was december, everyone thinks I am crazy for riding when its cold but we get a few warm days and I just can't pass that up.

5. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Your camshafts are worn, my friend, and you will likely need cam chain tensioners as well.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    A "loose bolt inside" during warmup? What does that sound like? A regular knocking like someone tapping metal with a hammer? Or does it sound like a chain dragging on metal? You need to have it checked out. I have a 1984 VF750F myself. My bike has 32,000 miles on it. I was hearing that tell-tale cam chain noise from the rear cylinders and was just about ready to sell the bike when the head gasket blew. Three cylinders were tight so I decided it was worth fixing rather than parting out. I am no mechanical genius, but I tore into the rear and found my blown head gasket and a worn cam chain tensioner, which I replaced. Now, it's fixed and I guess I will keep it.

Your bike probably needs expensive repair, unless you can do the job yourself. Even then the parts won't be cheap. Good luck.

7. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    The bothering sound is ok now! My mechanic has replaced the cam chain and it sounds ok and running smooth now at 58K on the milage. I thought it was easy to replace it, every parts of the engine were disassembled to pcs. just to replace the chain. I spent P15K (350usd) for the chain and overhauling. i did not replace the tensionser just the timing chain. My next plan for my VF750F is to dress it to look like a VFR with complete fairing. Do you think it's possible? or anyone put a full fairing on VF750F? I would appreciate to see it. thanks a lot.

8. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    Well, I remeber that whole affair very well and while the 1st Interceptor had some issues it was a ground breaking motorcycle and is unquestionably a classic. And as a second or third bike it is not going to get the high mileage that caused those problems once put right. And there are fixes for the problems which is a good thing for those of us who love those machines.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
  10. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    ya that's right. actually, when the cam chain was remove, it was not damaged or it was not eaten. just the o ring of the timing chain were loosen maybe due to wear and tear for almost 26 years of use without replacement. I think, my first gen should have been in the garrage for a long time if the prob really exist in the 1st gen or maybe it depends on the maintenance. How's your bike my frend? looks like still in good shape.

11. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    wow thnks for the link. I've been looking for the designs of dressing up a vf, with this i can now start with the fabrication of the fairing. i'll update you soon as soon as im done. thanks a lot.

12. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I think the first Interceptors look great just the way they are. They are a piece of M/C history. I like mine just the way it is.
    102-0266_IMG.JPG
    Yours should now run just fine for many more years, since the cam chain replacement.

13. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree with Eddie....keep it stock and save money. Stock is king when you go to sell it.

14. Nony Pestejo

Nony Pestejo New Member

Map
    your bike looks like new. my bike is running great now after the cam chain replacement. i will soon repaint it with white and blue with red stripe to look like the original paint. I will show you after painting. Thanks a lot and god bless.

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If you want to ride, not worry about your bike with its technical problems....consider finding a newer bike.
    The newest bike you can afford is the best bike to ride. Don't make yourself a Honda martyr by spending your capitol to keep their old dinosaur beast running.
    So if someone shows interest in purchasing your bike, consider the opportunity for you to find a better machine.

Any newer 600cc bike has better wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension and engine than your antique as well as being much lighter.
    Remember that most "classic" bikes are seldom ridden, so consider that if you want to be a rider, not a collector.

Others will disagree, but it's an almost universal fact, sir, that "newer is better."

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008